Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Who Knew

I am listening to a local sports show yesterday and they interviewed a new coach at ASU. For what sport you ask and why is this important. Well I wasn't sure at first what sport because it was the typical, "It's a building year...been watching this team with great interest..would love to fill the seats..blah, blah, blah."

After a few minutes they say the sport...Water Polo. WTF? Now this is the third time I have heard about water polo in the last month. I mean I guess I knew it was a sport but had no idea how big a deal it is? On my Yosemite trip last month one of the guys in the group played for UC Berkley. The Kahuna played in college and we talked about that when I was out there last month. Both of them gave me great insight on this little known sport and I definitely think I will go to see a match(?) when the session starts next February.

I bring this up because in a lot of ways it reminds me of triathlon. A relatively unknown sport but full of spirit and history and raving fans. Will I ever play water polo? Noooooo, I have a hard enough time swimming for my own triathlon efforts. But I appreciate the competitiveness of the sport and the ability it takes to play at the highest level. I'll give my support.

8 comments:

Chris said...

I played water polo in high school for all four years. Don't let anyone fool you. It's a full contact sport. It certainly gets you prepared for the washing machine that is triathlon swimming, though! :)

Wil said...

See, there aren't any girl teams like this - I'd love to try that out! No blood, right??? ;)

bunnygirl said...

Water polo? How do you get the horses to... oh, never mind. ;-)

The Big Cheese said...

Com,
Give me a call. I want to go.

The Big Cheese said...

Hey Com,
What is the story with the November 24th – 2nd Annual Scottsdale Thanksgiving Tri/Du?

tri-mama said...

They have some co rec teams here, I've thought it would be great off season training for endurance swimming and I think co rec might be a little kinder. It's played in deep water though so I don't know...

Oldman said...

they don't use horse they use ponys...

Chris said...

There should be girl teams, Wil. And there most definitely can be blood... and stitches, broken bones, ripped suits. I've seen it all.

But you'll never complain again about getting kicked in the swim of a tri. You'll just be used to it at that point. :)