- Pack only what is on the gear list. The only items you are going to use are quick foods, and your hydration reservoir. You will not have time to take your pack off for any personal items you bring along.
- What you wear at the start, you will wear for hours before you can take off or add layers. There is no time to take off or add unless you are mercifully given a break. Breaks are earned, not given. Be careful in your choices if you run hot or cold.
- Nothing will kill a team or raise one up faster than team work. Our cadre said we had the fastest team cohesion he had seen in his classes. A high compliment to be sure.
- Learn a cadence. It doesn't matter if you sing the same thing ten or fifteen lines for 5 hours, (it doesn't get boring), just have something from start to finish to motivate the team in the middle of the night. If you can't memorize it, write it down on waterproof paper and stick it in your pocket. You can pull it out on the move. Eventually it will be seared in your head.
- Team mates will cramp up. Most people have never gone longer than a marathon of effort, meaning what occurs physically after say 5-6 hours is virgin territory. Our class was 12 hours and almost a marathon of miles around the city, not included in that distance all the bear crawls, crab walks, low crawling, buddy carries, coupon carrying and team weight carrying we did. Your body will break down. Everything is done at as fast a run as can be managed as a team. As someone who competes in ironman distance events and multi day adventure hiking, I have become accustomed to using a supplement called Endurolytes, which helps deter cramping in endurance activities. There are other products that do the same. This is just what I use. Its a good item to have at break times for yourself and others on the team.
- For what its worth, no amount of ibuprofen is going to help with the pain you feel under all the physical stress. 70% of that is going to be a discomfort turned into a full out "I can't go on" voice in your head. Don't listen to it. Embrace the suckage. Mental destruction and negativity will crush a team.
|Author wearing blue shirt with red flag on cap.|