Monday, August 22, 2005

A question of cleanliness

OptimizeI retained the title of Worlds Worst Person In The Kitchen. Normally I just break things or burn down entire kitchens (2 different ones thank you) but this time I have done it to myself and its got me in a quandry.

Yesterday I cut off a part of my finger while helping Mistress cut green peppers for dinner. Please no sympathy as it doesn't hurt, it's quite numb thank you, but its going to be an open wound for at least a week and probably a bit longer until a scab can form, like I said it's not a just a slice, more like a...well a shaving off.

Anyway I am concerned about swimming. Even with a band-aid it is still bleeding quite a bit and I don't want to get into a pool with an open wound, more for pool hygiene than concern for myself. I guess when it scabs over that's different but that still be atleast a week from now.

I can work around it no problem. I ran 3 miles this morning and plan on some gym and stationary bike work today. I want to swim but want to do what is right for all pool users not just me.

What are your recommendations about swimming with an obvious wound and there is no way I can hide it. Wait till it scabs? Wait till a scab couldn't come off in the water? Put a band-aid on it and drive on?

8 comments:

mipper said...

ok, i know you said no sympathy but c'mon! i do feel bad for you that it happened and i am glad you can't feel it. if it were me, i'd pick door #2, but i'm freaky about stuff like that. actually, you'd probably even be ok with #1. however if there is any oozing of anything, i'd ban myself from the pool. again just me and my freakiness. i'm sure the chlorine would keep you safe no matter what.

Flatman said...

Wait a week to see what happens.

Hey, no swimming means more time on that hot new bike of yours!!!

/still jealous/

Nancy Toby said...

I'd say paint it with the liquid bandage stuff (New Skin or similar). If you want to be extra-careful, you can put one of those clear waterproof bandages over the whole thing. Now go for it!!! And leave the sharp objects to the Mistress in the future, since you've shown you're not responsible enough. ;-0

Oldman said...

let it get a scab... or you could just hold that hand out of the water and practice balance drills.... after the scab use liqid bandage.

Wil said...

Jeez!!! OK, don't get me started on the pool germ thing again...I just got over that, but DO put a water proof baindaid on it - if not some athletic tape (how deep is it anyway?).

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Bandage up the finger. Wear 2 layers of latex gloves over the hand. Tape the gloves to your arm to prevent water from getting inside. Did this for an important scuba dive. Worked well. Granted, for guys who have hairy arms removing the tape after the swim could be painful. Which begs the question: in the great scheme of things, how important are these swims?

bunnygirl said...

I recommend anything by NexCare. They have some really, really effective waterproof bandages that I've used successfully, but I'm not sure how effective they'd be on an injury in your particular location. They also make a good liquid bandage that I've used. Go to the first aid section of your store and see what they've got by NexCare.

And in a pinch, there's always finger cots and sport tape.

Get thee to a drugstore!

The Big Cheese said...

I say finger cot is the best way to go. Or as I call them...Never mind not my blog, no need for bad penis jokes.