Thursday, August 18, 2005

Upward and Onward

I have mentioned a few times that while I was sick (and still I am still not 100%) I have been re-evaluating my current arc towards Ironman Florida next year. The goal is still the same but I think I need to sacrifice some personal hang ups to really be great.

Like a lot of people I think I can do anything, that's everything, all on my own. When it comes to training, I will compare my 20 years of exercise and personal knowledge, twelve years of being in the fitness industry and my two personal training certificates (one of them I was the last person in the United States to receive a perfect score, I know because I keep asking) up against anyone else and just decide I know what's best for me.

Know what, generally I'm right. But now I am not so sure. While triathlons and triathlon training is not new, nor is endurance racing like marathons of which I have done a few, (PB 3:15 Guam 1993), Ironman is a completely different animal. I am no longer sure that slowly ramping up and hammering out mile after mile, lap after lap, is in my best interest.

I currently use an ala carte approach to training. Workout in my gym by myself, run with my running group (no coaching) on Saturdays, ride long with Tribe Multisport when I can and get miles in during the week. I joined a swim team but I got my best results 1 on 1 with the now departed coach, and swam more distance by myself, than just clocking laps with the team which is much faster than I.

So I am at a crossroad. I am really considering going with a tri-team or a Ironman oriented personal training group. Both have draw backs, not including the monthly dues or training fees. But all elite athletes have a coach. Lance has Chris Carmichael, Jordan had a coach, Tiger has a coach. Most professional triathletes have coaches, trainers, nutritionists and physical therapists.

As a BOP, who just wants the opportunity to finish an Ironman in 17 hours, is it overkill to go to the next level? But this isn't like a marathon where you can just walk it in, if you have to. Well it kinda is if you can make it past the swim. Who is going to keep me accountable? I really don't have that problem right now and I have the blog. What about education and motivation? I am motivated but maybe I am not motivated correctly. I could certainly use the one on one advice of someone who understands my goals and is tied into my goals to help me succeed other than Mistress.

I don't have anyone to train with right now who has my goals or my best interest at heart. I don't have Robo Stu and I don't have Awesome-Training-Partner or Intrepid-Training-Partner nearby. I only have myself and people who will congratulate me to my face for attempting something they don't understand and are more than willing to alibi my failure if I don't make it.

Okay. I am officially looking into an Ironman trainer.

7 comments:

Kona Shelley said...

Yes!!! I think this is the best route, especially for your first IM. It's great to have a coach who's job it is to keep you focused towards your goal...and you having the feeling of confidence that they are leading you in the right direction!! Good luck with your search!!

Chris said...

A coach certainly can't hurt. I often think about hiring one myself.

Or alternatively, you can buy a few books (The Triathlete's Training Bible and Going Long come to mind) and read up on them in the off-season. Really TTB does a pretty good job of planning out your season. Going Long is sort of like TTB but less scientific. Both are great tools and I suggest them even if you're planning on hiring a coach just for another perspective on things.

And certainly you have us all as a resource too. An uncertified resource in my case, but another person with similar goals to bounce ideas off of. :)

Nancy Toby said...

Jeez, you're getting swamped with comment spam!!

Anyway, you might consider an online coach. Debi Bernardes is one several people I know use:
http://www.ucandoitcoach.us/debi.htm

She also competes in triathlons and often wins her AG:
http://www.ucandoitcoach.us/runningcv.htm

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

My best years in trialthon in terms of reduced injury, overall fatigue, and increased performance came with a coach.

Do it.

Wil said...

DEFINITELY get a coach! I can't wait to hook up with mine, should be some time this month. It's just such a feeling of relief, you know?

And yikes on the comment spam is right, they were out in force tonight and I had to delete a bunch myself. Guh!

Flatman said...

I myself, would look in to the rainbow vacuum parts that first anonymous was talking about...they would definitely help.

I kid. I have toyed with this idea too, but money is always a factor, and I have a pretty strict schedule for the marathon, so I think I am okay for now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Comm's said...

Thanks for the support everyone. Chris I already have read both and agree with your critic of them. And your right, the Tri Alliance is a training partner in and of itself.