Thursday, August 25, 2005

Possibility's

Got an e-mail from a triathlon coach who has a small group in my area of the Valley. I am taking the offer up to do a 50 mile ride with them Sunday morning and then discuss me joining his team over coffee. I gave him a short bio in a reply e-mail and he has this blogs address but I definitely think we should interview each other before reaching a decision on me linking up with him.

I know myself well enough to know this is bigger than me, but to change my paradigm and put myself under someones yoke to reach my Ironman Florida goals, that person better be prepared to be as committed as I am to me reaching my goals. Plus, lets be honest, there is plenty of hucksters out there trying to fill a niche and I don't think its a knock that we have some honest open discussion about how qualified he is to train me. I am willing to change my patterns if I respect the man and he can show me the way, but I am not a neophyte. Now this coach, to be fair is a doctor and has at least one degree his lists that is highly esteemable in the fitness industry. On paper he is looks good, so I will give him a serious consideration but I am more interested in a persons productivity than his pedigree.

Sidenote: I really can't stand idiots who get a $50 degree from the back of a magazine or online and consider themselves elite, sport specific professonal trainers. Nor do I have faith in Physical Therapists, Chiropractors and the like who take a couple of weekend seminars and start to peddle themselves out as experts. Give me a guy who graduated with a degree in art history who has completed (in relation to my needs) a couple of Ironmans, some shorter distance endurance stuff and taken others through to the same thing using his leadership.

Got my run in this mornin but I will be honest it wasn't great. After my meeting, I am pulling the yet-to-be-named-yellow-bike out of the Ford and get in some mileage. 30 miles would be nice but with mid day traffic in this town, it does get dicey.

Hey how about 'YellowBike'? Does anyone have that name yet? Reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie, Funny Farm, they had Yellow Dog.

5 comments:

Flatman said...

I would call it "mellow johnny"!

If you don't get this, don't worry about it.

Frank the Tank said...

They had a great article in Men's Health on trainers, and their respective skill sets (and in many cases the lack thereof). Primarily at less than reputable clubs. So I totally agree with your caution on any kind of coach (although he does soound like he has got some pretty good qualifications).

The article references one guy that got that compartment syndrome in his arms or shoulders after only two or three days. It kept him out of action for eight months.

Good luck with the new wheels. It sounds sweet.

Wil said...

LOL Flatman!! Lance would love it. Hmm, I'll keep thinking, I can't top Mellow Johnny just yet.

Flatman said...

Why must you always top me, Wil?

;)

Isn't it enough that my blog pales in comparison to your's?

Keryn said...

The only things I can think of are the Yellow Submarine and Ole Yeller...neither of which would make an inspiring or uplifting bike name. Sorry, I definitely can't top Flatman (but that shouldn't come as a suprise). :)