Friday, August 12, 2005

Flowers Revisited

I think I have somehow struck a cord amongst the males reading my blogpost on flowers. My two favorite responses are:
tarheeltri said... Comm, unfortunately I am going to have to take your link down on my site.That cannot be read by the Missus. See ya.

Chris said... Every week for the past 10 years??!? I hope my fiancee never reads your blog. There will be a SERIOUS case of envy there
Guys this is so easy to accomplish without being a sensitive-Mr. Ponytail-wussy boy. First and most importantly there is absolutely positively no walking into a floral shop. In fact it is strictly forbidden. All you have to do is pay attention to your surrounding. (Think about how closely you pay attention to all the bikes you see in a transition area, your very aware of your surrounding there aren't you.)


At least once per week you are going to walk into a grocery store to grab something, for me this is usually foodstuff for the weekend that we have run out of, O.J., Soy milk, eggs, beer, maybe some steaks for the BBQ, well they have flowers there too and their cheap. On average I spend about $5 a week for flowers. Chris, thats like 3 gels. Every now and then I may bigshot a $10 boquet if its a holiday or we have guests.

Men, never go into a flower shop. Run away as fast as you can. From experience its $50 minimum which is way overpriced and you feel like a putz for spending that much money on something that you could care less about and will die in five days anyway. Am I right?

Thats how its done. I don't even think about it anymore. I am just always in a grocery store getting something, so its nothing to get some daisys or tulips or sunflowers.

It may just soften the blow of you coming home someday with a new Shiny Thing for your tri-life.

What I am wondering is this...why no female responses?

10 comments:

tarheeltri said...

While we were dating I once wrote my wife a poem asking her to do my laundry... is that sensitive?

Oh yeah, I bought her and CB some donuts on the way back from the pool this morning. How about that?

Anything but the flowers!

Nancy Toby said...

No response from me just because I haven't read all my regular blogs yet! I think you rule. :-) Simple kindnesses are always the best.

Wil said...

LOL - you just rock. Flowers go a long way, I get them about once a week or so, too. I never get tired of it, and I'm always surprised :)

bunnygirl said...

I guess I'm the weirdo here, but I don't much care for getting flowers. I feel so bad when they turn brown and die!

Keryn said...

Sorry for the lack of response lately...

My husband does something wonderful with flowers...I can count on not getting them for Valentines, my birthday, our anniversary, etc. BUT...I do get them when I am having an awful week at work or when I just need a pick me up. Nice that they come when you need them and not when someone dictates you must send them.

I believe I read somewhere on your blog that you are not big on holidays like that, Comm. From a woman, I love that. :)

Comm's said...

Keryn,
I love holidays. I just can't stand the one that I am supposed to be guilted into. I don't like being told by the great Greeting-Card-Chocolate-Candy-Industrial-Complex that on one day a year I have to do something for my valentine,mother, father, the tree outside, etc. I do nice things for those I love year round. I buy nice things for those I care about year round because it is usually something they need, not something they expect.

So buy a book for your mom cause its Tuesday, buy your Dad four chili dogs at Wienerschnitzel because your driving by and he love em.

The only holidays I celebrate are Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I may recognize a few other days (a birthday) but I certainly won't be buying gifts or cards for it, throwing my hard earned money away because its the middle of August and they already have Halloween stuff up in the stores.

Celebrate love, not holidays.

Meagan said...

Wow...wow...wow....awesome Commodore. You're such a sweetheart!

Capybaras United said...

They're beautiful flowers. No deals that good in NYC!

Chris said...

Ok, $5 a week doesn't sound that bad at all. Now, I just have to figure out what these "grocery store" things are that you speak of. I'm not sure that as a bachelor, I've ever been to one. ;)

mipper said...

Comm, you are too sweet! I am just getting to catching up on my reading and i must say, YOU ROCK! Yes, we women are just as happy with a $5 bouquet as we are with a $50 one. However, when I have a baby, I do expect my husband to go to a floral shop... it's only fair. :)