Friday, August 19, 2005

A Move In The Right Direction

Today I pick up my new bike. Well technically today I get to finally pay for it and get fitted, I am leaving it at the shop because I will be back at 0600 for a 30 mile group ride.

In reviewing my arc towards Ironman Florida, as I discussed yesterday, I first went to the easy stuff that could be upgraded to give me my best chance at successful training leading to ultimately finishing the course. So I looked at Lucille.

I love Lucille, my 1998 Softride Roadwing. I learned how to ride on Lucille, she has been my first and only bike I have ever owned. I bought her right off the assembly line at the Softride factory in Washington State.

But the Softride was not going to be my best weapon to employ at Ironman Florida. She would be a little over eight years old. And though I can still crank out 23 mph or better on the tabletop flat, well maintained bike lanes of Mesa, Arizona, I knew in my heart that a newer bike would be a better option and I can afford to upgrade.

At first I wasn't sure selling the Softride was the best thing, she is still a great bike. So I prayed on it for while. The Lord doesn't always give you what you want but always gives you what you need. I guess what I needed was the opportunity to help a felllow triathlete with a bike need, giving me the opportunity find what I need.

So...I know Flatman skipped all the exposition to get to this part. I HAVE A NEW SHINY THING.

A 2004 Giant TCR which is a 17 pound ultra-light composite compact road frame with Shimano Ultegra components ($$$),
Front fork upgrade to a carbon fiber Reynolds Ouzo Pro Intergrated ($350),
Handlebar upgrade to a wider Bontrager Race Lite CX Bar ($50)
Profile Design Air Stryke (folding) aero bars ($100)
Selle Itialia Flite Ti Seat ($75),
2 carbon fiber Bontrager Race X-Lite bottle cages ($50 each),
Rims upraded to Easton Vista ($250 set),
Sigma BC 1600 cyclocomputer ($25).

I will get a picture of it today or tomorrow and post it up.


5 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

Sweet. I tell you. I have been kind of looking around at some bikes but knowing anything. The people selling them could tell me that rubbing peanut butter on the wheels will give me better traction and speed and I would have no clue. creamy or chunky I ask them. I look forward to seeing that new bike.

Damn you for inspiring me...Damn you.

Flatman said...

Oh...now I'm jealous. You are hurting me, brother. You go and plop down a wad of cash and don't even consult me about the color!?!?!? By the way, what color is it?

And hurry up with the pictures, why don't ya????

Yeah, yeah...congratulations too...

///walking off to look at my old crotchedy road bike///

Wil said...

You are gonna be all set for IMFL!!!!!

Keryn said...

I think I'm going to get a Giant too! Probably not quite as tricked out as yours, but still a Giant. :) I can't wait to see pictures! I have total bike envy! :)

Chris said...

Sounds like a sweet ride! I can't wait to see the pics!