Thursday, August 18, 2005

August=Birthdays=Extra Calories

Geesh, no matter how hard I train, I can't get past the plateau of Calories In and Calories Out. In the month of August, I am looking at a dozen birthdays on my calendar, including my own. I can't get away from all the lunches and get togethers because they are for peers or employees and it would just be bad form to not attend.

I know I should have better self control at restaurants, but man there is only so many times you can eat a salad or soup and sandwich while everyone else is getting such delicious plates of heaping food. No matter how many supplements I take to change the chemical reaction in my mind to want fat or sugar (5-HTP and CCK, by the way) I can only offer about 5 or 6 'No thank you's' before I give in. Not even my patented, "No thanks more for you." works anymore. Not every time, 5 or 6 no's can defuse a lot of situations but not all of them. August is worse for me than Christmas party's and dinners.

I guess this is just a carbo-periodization time. That's it, that's the ticket.


5 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

I am the same at the all you can eat buffet at the strip clubs. But seriously, if you don't eat you hear about it the entire time from the other people you are with. And for me that is harder then just eating the healthy dish.

Chris said...

I'm totally with you Com. I've gone as far as to avoid hanging out with friends because there's just too much temptation for me in hanging out and having dinner with 'em.

I can't even tell you how many Subway 6" club on wheat, with no cheese, every veggie plus spinach minus pickles and olives with spicy mustard, olive oil, and salt and pepper subs I've eaten these past few months. :( I just had on about 30 minutes ago as a matter of fact. I'm going to have to change my screen name to "Jared". :P

tarheeltri said...

Ha.. Subway! I go for the 6" turkey on wheat, no cheese, no mayo, just spicy mustard. I love the looks on their faces when I say "no cheese". Like, are you crazy?!?!?

Comm's said...

TBC, you are so right.

Chris/ Tarheeltri: thanks for the brainwashing. I am going to Subway for lunch.

Keryn said...

Hey! I get the 6" turkey on wheat, no cheese, no mayo, all the veggies plus spinach and sweet onion sauce! I love Subway!

I also completely sympathize with the eating out thing. It is rough when my husband can eat his entire monster portion plus half of mine. I feel the need to keep up. Plus, it's hard to say no to such yummy food...especially in the face of such friendly pressure. :) Just keep up the workouts and be diligent in between.