Sunday, May 8, 2005

Mom's Day? Why the heck do I do that?

I forgot to get a card for Mommy, from the mighty Mo. Is that a crime? Mommy gets at least one lovey dovey card a month from him year round. I caved in and bought her a gift certificate at her favorite clothing store. Is that a crime? I have bought her flowers every week for ten straight years. Nothing fancy, just the $5 bouquet at the market, but they are always pretty, no roses but daisy's or tulips or mixed stuff.

As you can see I am not big on pre-fabricated holidays. BTW, I feel the same about Father's Day, Arbor Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Halloween, St. Patty's Day, Cinco De Mayo, pretty much all holidays in that vain. Yes I love Christmas and celebrate Easter and birthdays. I appreciate New Years for its sense of renewal and 4th of July for it patriotism and Thanksgiving for its sense of family and communal unity.

I believe in treating your loved one's right year round. I should not have to be reminded by the Hallmark-Hersery-Industrial-Complex that I need to spend money on their products to feel like I can absolve myself from guilt. I buy my mom flowers and books and take her to lunch and do nice things for her all the time. I look into my wifes eyes and tell her I love her all the time; not in the passing each other through the bathroom door kind of way but the look into eyes, complete appreciation of her sacrifices and struggles as a mom and wife with a heartfelt hug and kiss. I also apologize A LOT. Even when I feel I haven't done anything wrong because I never know what I do that can upset her.

So have a good day however you celebrate it.


2 comments:

Wil said...

You are a GREAT guy!!!!!!

soccerdad said...

hey that's a great perspective on these holidays. i totally agree with you.