Saturday, May 7, 2005

First miles down, thousands to go

My first weekend of training in four long weeks. Plus today I took the last two pills to fight the pneumonia I had. I'm Free. I'm Free.

Lucille and I decided to take a trip to the barber shop down the road so I could trim my lovely locks. We were having such a good time that I passed the place and had to turn around.

Now my barber, Pauline, is a pro. She's like 70 years old and been cutting hair for fifty years. I think she knows what she's doing. I even recruited my dad to her and he loves the cut she gives. Anyway, she and the other barber googoo'd and gaagaa'd over Lucille and how she doesn't have a rear post and how do you use the pedals, Lucille was a happy bike.

After that we trolled down the road a few miles then looped back around to get home. As I was slowing down a trio of cyclists cut across the road at the light and since they were going my way anyway I decided to draft them and pick up some conversation.

They were great and very nice and amicable. The leader half joked that they were going to go up Usery Pass, which is the only hill of any note in this part of Mesa-well come to think of it anywhere in Mesa- and the other two started to groan. It was a good laugh. They were only moving at about 14 mph so I picked my clip up a bit to 18 mph and motivated myself home.

Oh, I posted that Lucilles computer was on the fritz. Well actually it was the magnet for the cadence system was missing and the front wheel magnet for distance was moving out of alignment due to centrifical force (the spoke was too small for the attachment). Which is what Kevin at Tribe fixed.

He fixed both yesterday but today when I switched into the big chainring, somehow the zip tie holding the magnet to my crankarm was sheared off. I looked down and saw it hanging there on the arm and turned into a parking lot to put it in my pack. Well I couldn't find it, which was weird since it was such a short area to look, but at least now I know what the problems is. Maybe we can move the sensor to the left crankarm? Any of you have that problem?

3 comments:

Kona Shelley said...

Sounds like you had fun today..good for you!!

Wil said...

Hey - I had a little trek on the bike myself today. Glad to hear you and Lucille are getting along! Well, minus the computer thing ;)

Flatman said...

My cadence sensor IS mounted to my left crankarm... That is actually how mine is supposed to be! Try it, I bet it works.