Monday, May 16, 2005

ITU Ishigaki Triathlon

As important as my race was to me yesterday, I continue supporting the person who really was the impetus for my triathlon life, Joe Umphenour. Joe, in his mid 30's, is still living his dream of being a professional triathlete after a dozen years of racing. There are bigger names in the ITU world, (i.e. Jessi Stensland to name but one) but few have Joe's 19 year longevity in the sport.

He has been ranked #1 American triathlete in the world in ITU standings and he has missed the Olympic triathlon team twice, though made alternate both times, due to injuries sustained just prior to deciding races. He is currently, I believe, the athlete representative for ITU affairs, sort of a teamster boss, and been asked to color commentary for Olympic distance races because of his background with most of the racers and his boundless energy.

He came in 11th place in Ishigaki, Japan this weekend which will lift him from his current 14th place in ITU's overall standing. Its hard for a back of the packer like me to understand how you can miss being first over the finish line by 1 minute 47 seconds and come in 11th place, but he is a professional and I am not.

More than anything I appreciate the fact that Joe has given up so much to follow his dreams. The life of a professional triathlete is not pockets full of money and lavious lifestyles. Due to his dedication to his sport, as with most triathletes, he forgoes regular paying jobs, relying on sponsors and his race finishes to pay the bills. He is gifted enough to be invited each year back to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs where he has room and board and facilities and coaches that round out his natural ability and energy. Its not easy to maintain or build relationships with people when your life is comsumed with triathlon training and racing and winning.

Joe may never read my blog, he doesn't have too, come to think about it I may never have told him about CMS, but he is in it. He is built into my dna of triathlon. Every workout and race is in someway to prove that I can do what Joe does, but even then he takes its one step farther.

No comments: