Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Allow me a non training rant

I am a bit cranky and next to my computer so I thought I would put a vent out there in the blogesphere.

For the last week or so I have been hyper sensitive to people that forget to do something I ask them to do and its starting to get to me. Just now for example, I asked Mistress to grab a pair of sweat pants for me to ice my hamstring since she was going upstairs to put the Mighty Mo down. She forgot and I had to trudge up to the closest and get them. It happens, people forget, but I am really noticing it a lot.

With all this conference stuff, I am asking people to do all sorts of things for me and then they drop the ball and it becomes my emergancy because they didn't get it done. I will ask someone on the phone with someone else to ask a simple question for me before they hang up, get a number or add up a total, and that person will forget and I have to call them myself, which I was going to do anyway but it would have been so much faster and saved time if it had just been done. I will tell someone I need their presentation e-mailed or handed to me by a certain time so it can be loaded into the laptop and they don't get it to me. So the phone calls begin again and the excuses flow again.

I think my biggest issue is that I have been feeling more and more abused for having a servants atittude. I have been doing a lot of tasks and handed a lot of responsibility for things that have zero recognition and getting very little thanks. I don't need much and I am very appreciative and recognize when I get it but its just...I don't know.

When a partner wants a handout to look exactly like it does on the sheet of paper they worked on at Starbucks, they have no concept of how to build diagrams or sizing or spacing or equations or charts. They just want it perfect and they want it in two hours before they gave it too me.

When I tell people I may not climb Camelback because I pinched a siatic nerve and blah, blah, blah they just look at me and sometimes even say, "Well how did you get hurt, you didn't compete?" No but I did load and unload an average of twelve 45 pound plates for 60 people over the course of five hours and had to stop the weight sled from slamming into an employee at least a dozen times by pivoting from a kneeling position on one knee to a 45 degree press (12x45= 540 plus 50 pound sled= roughly a 600 pound weight sled that I had to stop moving from a kneeling position) so the employee could lock out the sled. No wonder my right side is fired up.

Okay I feel better now.


3 comments:

soccerdad said...

get it out, dude... get it out.
ok - now get back to work!

tarheeltri said...

I understand, believe me I do. That's why I like the solitude of training and racing alone... which you may be missing since you're hurt. It will get better!

Wil said...

Totally understand this. It's a major pet peeve of mine when people forget the simplest little things. Once - OK, I understand, but habitually just drives me nuts.