Thursday, May 19, 2005

Allegric to Technology

I'm not sure if I have posted about this but I had a bad reaction to a Timex Marathon Heart Rate Monitor last year. Its still haunting me.

Long story short, after wearing this HRM for a few months I suddenly one day developed a really bad skin reaction to it, almost exactly like a chemical burn. It itched, rashed out, developed bumps, the only thing it did not do was peel over its three week healing. So obviously I put it away. Every few months I would try it on and get the same reaction. Each time doing something else to it to clean, to see if it was a reaction to an agent I used on it.

I finally contacted Timex last month and they were very helpful and concerned and asked me to send the HRM for a free replacement. I finally got my new one Monday and tested it for only an hour and a half. Here is the results...



You can even see the dot on my right side rash which was the slot for the strap. I took this picture the next morning to e-mail to Timex and see what they say.

Obviously I can't wear this anymore, and it must be my skin's reaction to the material used, not the fault of Timex, I love Timex gear. So I am thinking of switching to another HRM and wonder which ones you people use? I am thinking of going really hi-tech with a system like Polar, Garmin or Nike, that can capture HR, running and cycling information, though I have issues with all of them.

I have used Polar in the past and found their watch interface really difficult for me to get used to compared to Timex. I owned an original Polar HRM back in 1995 and bought another before returning it for the Timex in late 2003. I also see they have a HRM that does not have the thick molded plastic that stretches across the front, just a little plastic in the middle for the sensor.So I may go back to them but not sold yet. I simply don't like Nike's watch design and number style. Garmin looks good but the watch is huge and only has a ten hour battery before a re-charge, thats annoying.

So any ideas?


5 comments:

Wil said...

OMG! That is definitely the band, but I wonder if it's the material or the electric current used in measuring your heart rate.

Yikes, though!

Flatman said...

Scary rash dude..."better put some butter on it" /lame SNL reference/

I use a Polar S150 which does HR and Cycling functions. I also still use my Cateye bike computer for the cadence functions. If I don't "watch" my self, I can get really distracted with all the information. I have really tossed about gettting a Garmin Forerunner for running, so I can check my pace, speed and distance without running a set course. This is really appealing to me, since I get bored running the same courses over and over, just because I know where the mile markers are.

I am interested in what you finally get, as I am a tech geek who is always looking for the latest and greatest toy!

Nancy Toby said...

That's bizarre! I've never heard of that. Are you allergic to latex, by any chance? It may be a component of the rubber.

Comm's said...

I have never been allergic to anything in my life...well except lactose. Do you think the HRM was made of cheese?

Eric said...

I'm pretty sure TIMEX is non-dairy, but you never know...anything to save a buck these days.