Friday, May 13, 2005

Killing with kindness

I never would have thought I would make friends poolside, unless it was the bartender at a resort. I have no pride do I?

But this morning I made a friend at the pool. Who’d a thunk dat. I met Jen a few days ago at my last swim session and we chatted up in a friendly way in between our sets, we were the only two using the lap lanes. I was remarking about her much-better-than-my swim ability and found we actually had some mutual friends. And well, I’m a hunk and I am sure she felt compelled to talk. Yeah right.

Well, Mistress is on her last vacation day and since I did not have to go home to get Mighty Mo ready for anything, I slept an extra hour, got to the pool at 5 a.m. and then stayed at the club to do some work. Well who should pad out to the pool area but Jen, we were the only two people in the whole pool area and had a really good conversation in between our sets. I even got an extra 100 meters out of it, for a total of 800 meters.

I have never had a problem meeting people and I am always striking conversations with members, well with people anywhere really. Think about this: how many times a day are you close enough to a conversation between two people that you can overhear, not in a ease dropping way, but as a course of doing business way, like say at the checkout line? Well I have no problem making a nonchalant comment, usually in jest or a colorful agreement. It’s who I am.

People think that if they are not a part of the conversation, but can hear it, they should respect the people and stay out. Hogwash. I have helped hundreds of people asking someone for directions or the location of place and through proximity to the question will answer it.

So here is a challenge for the weekend. When you hear someone this weekend that you don’t know, asking someone else a question that you have some knowledge of, butt in and answer or clarify the response, you may be surprised at the kindness you get in return.

4 comments:

Wil said...

Well said - I never mind when people just add a comment if I've talking to someone else, especially if it's something that's really helpful!

Flatman said...

I do the same thing and my wife hate it..."mind you own business".

Good job on the extra 100 yds!

Your training schedule is a rockin'.

Kona Shelley said...

You know..I never thought about it, but you're right...I usually keep my mouth closed. I'll try speaking up this weekend and see what happens.. :-))

mipper said...

i really enjoy your blog, hope you don't mind the post. i just had to nod in agreement to this one. i'm southern and in the south if you stand still long enough someone will talk to you. i think it is genetic for southerners. out here where i live now i am constantly opening my mouth and people look at me like they wish i never would have. what's wrong with simply saying to someone in the wal-mart, "oh i like that brand of soap, it's very good."? apprently not everyone appreciates it, but i know i do. have a great day and keep up the excellent blog!