Thursday, June 30, 2005

Wildfires

In researching a photo for my last post I found several moving pictures that I wanted to use but did not fit my illustration. So I am putting them here. This is not a triathlete post but wildfires affect this state like almost no other every year and the dedication these firefighters, volunteers and smoke jumpers have is amazing and desires recognition. These are first volley of fires and experts agree that this year will be one of the worst in history.
This is the Cave Creek Fire, just north of Phoenix. 300 homes have already been burned down and now 6,000 residents of Pine Top and Strawberry have been given their evacuation warning order.
The sign on this house says simply, "Thank You"

5 comments:

Keryn said...

It always amazes me what these people do. I grew up in Alaska, home to many wildfires itself, and the courage of these men and women has impressed me since childhood. Thanks for the pics!

Kona Shelley said...

Wow love those pics!! I love that movie "Always" where they are fighting the fires from the skys...just like that one pic of the plane dropping that red stuff...very cool!...well fires aren't cool..you know what I mean..

Wil said...

WOW!

These are really amazing- hey, and how did you get them centered like that? Mine never center, only right or left for some reason.

Nancy Toby said...

Nice tribute, and very appropriate. Thanks for sharing those photos!

tri-mama said...

catch up comments:

Hair growth: Cool idea-and I thought putting a TGD magnet on my car was cutting edge :)

Swim: Very cool! Keep on building that base, I'll need someone to tether to at IMFL.

Race change: If you ever want to Mtn Bike race in a cooler clime (although that might cause hibernation for you) there are some great Xterra races in the midwest. Although the race descriptions say things like "death like plunge and "hill you might want to crawl up".

Fire pics: a picture paints a thousand words, what more is there to add but, "Thanks"