Thursday, June 2, 2005

Death Is In the Air

I recieved some disturbing news last night that goes on par with the what's been circling the Alliance lately. A good friend of mine overdosed on prescription drugs and died the other day.

His name was Jeff C. I met Jeff 13 years ago at the first health club I worked at coming back home from time I spent in the South Pacific. He was a successful independant personal trainer. Through Jeff I made some great friends. We went to church together, we broke bread together. We took trips together to Canada or camping or rock climbing. He used to host an inpromptu bible study in his apartment for our little gang.

Jeff became addicted to prescription drugs a few years later. He lost most of his clients because he asked them for loans of money, to use for drugs, and would miss training sessions with them. He dropped out of the church and our little click. I took Jeff in to my apartment for a few weeks before he entered rehab, he had nowhere else to go. He was contrite, overwhelmed, scared, frustrated, thankful he still had one friend.

He finished rehab and started to get his life back in order. I got married and was moving up in the company and as things naturally happen we drifted apart. We hooked up as often as we could. He was putting things back together but that took him several years to rebuild his reputation and repair his wrecked past. I eventually moved to Arizona and lost contact.

A few years ago he started working with our sister fitness company in Washington. He was getting a second chance at a career. He did well for a while but the rumor was that he was back to using. The companies had a joint Las Vegas trip in 2002 and we spent a few hours together, him asking forgiveness, me asking him to get more help. The last time I saw Jeff was at a wedding last summer. He was eager to talk but I was torn up inside becuase my son was admitted to the hospital, for what would be several days, while I was in flight to Washington and I wanted to get home as soon as possible.

An addict is an addict. I lost Jeff long ago and this is finally the ending to a sad saga of a good mans life ruined by drugs. I still have vivid memories of his laugh, his walk, he loved a specific brand of Nikes and wore only those.

Today or this weekend don't run, or swim or bike for mourning. Run, swim or bike for life.

Today is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...Sending my best wishes and thoughts your way.

Flatman said...

Wow, you are right...we should rejoice that we live and live so well.

Wil said...

I'm so sorry, Com. This seems to be a rough time all around. I hope that you will be able to find some comfort in your friends (and cyberfirends!) and family.