Friday, June 24, 2005

Max heart rate without the 220

Tri-mama asked me to address a very good question,
"Hey will you post info on how to find max HR without using the 220-age equation. My HR is generally 165-170 when I run and my max is 183 by age. "
Max Heart rate is a formula that is simple but wildly inaccurate. It is based on a number, (220 male, 226 female) and then making deductions to it based on age. What it does not do is take into account is individual fitness levels and type of activity it is geared to. For example as triathletes we all understand that riding a bike is 'easier' on the body than running, in a overall sense that is.

There is some exercise level and age indicating markers that can be used to adjust the 220-age formula which now is primarily used for running profiles. Under thirty years old and very active subtract 3 bpm, using the formula for cycling subtract another 5 bpm.

To get back to tri-mama's question. The best way to get your max heart rate is to take, an unfortunately painful, Max VO2 test in a clinical environment. The best place is a performace lab, which can be found in or near most major university's. You could also call a local rehab clinic or hospital and inquire. The test requires a run or pedal (based on a treadmill or bike test) that quickly moves from warm up to flat out sprint which is to last approximately six minutes (if you make it that far). In your mouth is a breathing system and/or you adhese sensors to your torso. Absolutely the best method and worth the money.

I have posted a link for how to do a modified Max VO2 test on a treadmill. You will need someone to run a stopwatch and adjust the treadmills speed and incline, believe me your going to need the help. Go to the link below, print out the page then once the test in completed, plug in your minutes to find your score/number.

treadmill test

Using the Polar S625X I took the Sub-Max VO2 which runs off of a resting heart rate immediately increased by simply standing up after laying down for 3-5 minutes. Its pretty accurate but should be done several times over a few weeks to the msot accurate mark. I have done all three types of tests I have mentioned and the Max test in a clinical setting is the higher number of the three.

The general consenus of most companies that provide sub-max testing (HRM's or health club equipment, for example), is that its not as accurate as a Max VO2 test, but all sub-max tests are about the same in its amount of deviation from the clinical test. Meaning if your not going to take the Max VO2 test in a lab, then pretty much everything else is not as accurate but as good a test as anything else thats not a Max VO2 test. Does that make sense?

Tri-mama I hope this answers your question.

BTW, my Max V02 score taken in 2003 was 58. My sub max on a bike in 1999 was 56, in 2004 on a bike it was 55. And let me take a few minutes here to take my second Polar max HR test......Max HR is 184.

2 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Well blogged! The way I determined my max HR was to keep doing some nasty hill repeats until I saw the highest number I thought I'd see, which was 188, I believe. Now I've done 10-milers with average HR of 172+. According to the 220 minus age formulas, my max HR is 172. Go figure. Maybe I should carry a defibrillator with me when I run? ;)

Chris said...

Interesting. Does the S625 use the notion of PolarOwn for its VO2 max-like value? I have the S720 and it has a similar feature, but my value is considerably higher on my watch than it is when I got tested clinicly? What settings did you use on your watch to get those values? You Polar and your clincal values seem to line up pretty closely.