Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Straight 1,000 Meter Swim

I'm dyin' if I'm lyin' I pulled 1,050 meters in the indoor pool last night. Break through! I was having a bad day and was going to skip the swim workout, (caught a case of CMS) but decide to have at it. I did my drills and warm ups and decided to finish with a 500 straight. The added incentive to keep going was the three former high school swimmers, now fatties, who each wanted their own individual lane, of which I was in one. So as they splashed and bulled their way 25 meters down the lane beating me each time, I simply turned around and continued swimming while they caught their breath for a minute then beat me again as I came back around. I have never had the sensation of someone actually waiting for me to push off so they could beat me. Interesting...

At 500 meters I decided I didn't want them to have the lane, so I just kept swimming figuring I would go to 750 meters and stop. 750 is a respectable sprint tri distance. One by one they started to leave the lane area and move to the sauna or jaccuzi. I think they realized I wasn't stopping and they weren't bothering me. I wanted to tell them, "Ahh, fellas, I'm a triathlete. Trying to swamp me with your gianormous leg kicks and splash me with your flailing arms from a lane away, don't impress me. Try doing that in my lane with six other swimmers, three kicking you in the face and two others grabbing your ankles." But in reality I never even said a word to them.

At 750 I thought to heck with it, go to a 1,000 meters, make it a great swim. So I got to 1,000 and decide to do 50 meters more; 1x25 to make up for the push's off the wall and 1x25 for the Man upstairs.

So how cool is that. I pull a thou straight and withstand the blistering assault of three fat 20 year olds, using the lanes on either side of me, all regaling each other with how thin they were in high school. "Dude, I was like this thin...really."

My ego going into orbit in...3...2...1...blast off.

10 comments:

Okolo said...

Hahaha.

So cool!

Congrats.


Okolo

tarheeltri said...

Love it! Nothing like wearing someone down with slow, steady consistency then watching them give up... it's such a great payoff! I'm with you man, everything is right in the world at times like that.

Wil said...

Now that's just awesome - congrats on the breakthrough! That much closer to IMFL - think they'd let you borrow some sharks for your pool, you know, just to prepare ;)

mipper said...

slow and steady wins the race (not that you were slow, but you know what i mean). excellent job on the swim and on keeping your lane. absolutely excellent!

Brett said...

That's cool. I always love to watch those folks who swim as fast as they can and get absolutely no where. :)

Brett

Nancy Toby said...

Way to go! Heh, the things that go through a person's head when they're swimming....

Bolder said...

way to stick it to them... love the losers that do that push off the wall after you/finish before you -- bring you down through your whole swim... and then you see them getting out of the pool wearing swim fins.

Flatman said...

Hey Com, I don't mean to pry, but if that is a picture of the pool you swim in...you might want to clean it (there is a turtle in it...).

All joking aside, what an awesome workout. I am in awe! Great job persevering and using those guys for fuel. Whatever it takes to get some motivation, I say go for it!!!!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Ah yes, those who are trying to be the best 20 year old they never were. They drive me crazy. Good workout! You'll be swimming as fast as a sea turtle in no time.

jennyc said...

Nice...