Thursday, June 16, 2005

Two Fer Two

Last night I got in my swim just like I said. Its so nice when a plan comes together. It was swim practice, again I was the slowest guy in the lane. That doesn't bother me much as I understand where I am at and I have no problem waiting a few extra seconds on the wall to let the rest pass and continue their drill without having to swim around me.

I would say I am about 25% slower than my lane mates. So for example we were doing 100's on 2:30 for 8. For every two 100 they got in I got 150 because I would let them pass me on their circuit.

I calf cramped, again. But this time it was during the last 25 fast. Afterwards one of my lane mates said I used two much leg in my freestyle, which I was doing because my coach kept telling me to get my hips more involved. Well you know how it goes, solve one problem, create two. So now I will try to limit leg kick and still focus on reach, roll, ear to arm, breath, repeat.

Anyone else have cramping in their calves like that? Was it a similar problem of maybe overkicking? Ah well, the joys of triathlon.

I bought a new pair of goggles a few weeks ago and they keep seeping. They are Socket Rockets by TYR. I will had to use my backups today just to get through. Will most likely have to get another pair, I may go with a aqua mask but most likely I will just get a regular pair of tinted goggles since its an outside pool.

Tally Ho.

Oh BTW, today is 60 minute Rehab and either swim practice again or I am taking a friend through a weight circuit to teach some core exercises and a full body workout. If I can I am going to try to get on the mountain bike course I did last Friday for 30 minutes.

6 comments:

tarheeltri said...

I ran into that solve one problem creat two ordeal when I put aero bars on my bike... as for the swim, I don't think I ever cramped and all I do is freestyle. I probably do quicker shorter kicks than most, which almost seem independent of eerything else when swimming. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not, but it works out well because I can keep kicking while sometimes taking a little off my stroke.

tri-mama said...

I kick just enough to keep my hips up-in fact when I started swimming in my wet suit I sort of forgot to kick at all because of the buoyancy. It dawned on me that I should go for at least a little propulsion from the legs :) I get calf cramps too. Usually when I work for distance. My swim coach//teamates have said that can get better with conditioning. I guess those muscles just have to get used to that motion in resistance of swimming.

Okolo said...

Isn't cramping due to dehydration and/or sodium loss?

Do you drink a sports drink or something like that before and during your work out?

jillllllll said...

You really shouldn't be relying on your kick for any forward motion. All it does is take your body out of the streamline position, which is tantamount to doggie paddle. Not to mention an aggressive kick will more likely flatten your body position, rather than allow those hips to roll. The rolling movement should really be initiated in your shoulders and core. Your kick should be just enough to keep your hips buoyant- a mere flutter.

Wil said...

I have the same problem as tri-mama in the wetsui, I think that conditioning is the answer, because that's what I've been told, too.

Comm's said...

Wil, Shelley I think your right, its just comes down to conditioning and better efficency in the water.

Jilllllll, thanks for your post. What you said is what I have been hearing and trying to overcome. Coming from you though it just makes sense.

Okolo, thank you for coming over to CMS for a (hopefully) good read. I don't believe this is a hydration issue. In fact I just had my cellular hydration levels biomectrically tested, for living in Arizona in the summer I am A-OK. The doctor said only about 10% of the people he tests are completely hydrated.