Friday, June 17, 2005

Change Your Mind

Just a quick post this morning, as I am rather proud of my near death experience last night and blogged about below.

Today is a rest day as I have a 5k at 0630 tomorrow morning, so I decided to actually dress up for work instead of my usual, khaki shorts, running shoes and Nike Sphere shirt. I know, I'm lucky.

Anyway as I was going through my dress shirts I just couldn't find one I liked that matched my favorite Nordstrom Khakis. Well I did, its my favorite, most expensive shirt, a Kenneth Cole, that I wear only on special occasions. I kept glossing over it and looking for something else.

But you know what, there has been too many deaths around me and my friends lately. A member died this week who was very well known to one of my clubs. He was young, early 50's, healthy, except for a pain in his stomach that when he got checked out, turned out to be late stage cancer and he died just a few hours later. I always wondered why people passed so quickly after bad news, do you think it breaks their heart? Do they give up hope?

Well those are eternal questions not to be dwelled on today, my response is this, Change Your Mind. Now back to finding a shirt. I grabbed that Kenneth Cole and thought, 'Why save the good stuff?'

So my thought of the day to you people, Why save the good stuff? Wear your favorite dress, or shirt or suit to work. Dash on the special perfume or cologne. There is no better occasion than living life.

5 comments:

tarheeltri said...

I was actaully riding this morning trying to stay aerobic when I started thinking of Oldman's post about going 27 mph on the flats. Don't try it, I thought, this is not a speed workout, think of the bigger goal, then finally, what the hell and I revved up as fast as I could go... I'm with you Commodore

Wil said...

Awesome post! Carpe diem (and btw - Kenneth Cole rocks - good taste!).

Kona Shelley said...

Never give up hope!!! Good post..thanks needed that!

jennyc said...

You've highlighted a very important point there Com. I see a lot of people in hospital who go through so much and hold out through the numerous number of investigations that cancer necessitates to confirm the diagnosis and then, the day the bad news is broken, it seems they just turn their back to the wall. I don't know if they have given up hope or if the confirmation of what is or has been causing their suffering finally gives them some peace.
So I'm gonna go with you on this one. I'm not gonna save the good stuff either, life's too short.

bunnygirl said...

Wow. Chiming in way late here, but you're so right! A few years ago a co-worker of mine was diagnosed with cancer. She fought it bravely, but even though she was eligible for retirement, she kept coming to work, working from home, worrying about needing to come to work, etc.

After more than a year of struggle and heartache, she finally decided to cash in her office chips and retire.

She was dead before her check for unused vacation allowance made it to her.

It's not always a good idea to save the best for last.