Saturday, June 18, 2005

Race #5 2005, ARR Series #2, 5k

Well #5 is in the books, thank goodness. Not my best race, placing 257/800+. I finished 25:11 (8:07 pace). Considering that my pace picked up each mile, thats not too bad but I was expecting a sub 24.

There were over 800 racers I am told. The 5k was a loop along a horse trail, so lots of ups and downs through dry washes. The dust really picked up and I had to pull over really quick, twice, to spit as my mouth was caked with dust and dry from the heat. Not as bad as the Cheetah run where the heat caused me to pull over with dry heaves, but I passed plenty of those people today too.

It was just a really crowded race with lots of winding and small ups and downs. I guess in hindsite that extra minute could come from that.

What was nice, was that instead of me having to provide my own Finish Transition, I was parked 20 yards from the music truck and 40 yards from the finish line so I just had to sit and enjoy. SRC was a co-sponsor so I talked to my running club mates and helped them provide food and drink to the runners and then clean up afterwards.

I met some great new people today and saw some old faces as well. That is the great thing about being a regular at local races. You get to have such great company.

2 comments:

Wil said...

Awesome run!! Holy cow that was fast. I know you were hoping for the sub 24, but that's still damn impressive, my friend! Way to go!

Nancy Toby said...

Woo hoo, that's some good running! Sounds like a fun local event, too. Those may be the best ones of all!