Saturday, June 25, 2005

Been An Eventful Saturday, Torn With Memorys

The weather in Phoenix has been really hot since Satan got back into town for his four month vacation. Does he have to bring the weather with him? Running group was really small, a tad over a dozen brave souls today. There is a fire just outside of town burning 35,000 acres and another in town burning 500 acres so air quality is just as poor as it can be.

My legs felt sluggish from the workouts, the heat and the air quality this week and I struggled to post sub 9 minute miles (8:52).

While Mighty Mo acted like a puppy and eventually feel asleep on the stairs I got to watch Oceans 12 and In Good Company. Both were better movies than I expected. Once Mighty Mo was up we went to the local fire department and they let him play on one of the engines and showed him around the station. He loves fire trucks.

Then the three of us plus my mom, went to see the new puppy Mistress bought behind my back. We have been a dogless family since last summer and Mistress really wanted Mighty Mo to have a companion. Its a Fox Red Labrador. He is 7 weeks old and a pure breed. He is being weened still so we will not bring him home until this Friday. Mistress wanted to show Mighty Mo the puppy (still unnamed) to get him ready for the big adjustment.

I am a bit dog shy right now as the events regarding the demise of our last dog, Buck, are still a very fresh and an ugly wound on my soul. I am reminded daily of the whole situation. You see Buck, who I raised for six years mauled Mighty Mo in a freak accident and I was forced to decide to put him down. Mighty Mo, just learning to walk, tripped and fell on him, Buck was not paying attention and because he was scared bit him 3 times in the face. Mighty Mo was pretty cut up around the face, requiring stitchs and antibotics. Because he already has a low immune system he spent a few days in the hospital when he picked up an infection in one of the wounds. There was no plastic surgeon on call that morning so the doctor who did the stitches did a lousy job and Mighty Mo still has a long scar next to his mouth.

Buck and I were best friends. He came into my life at a time when my life revolved around nothing but 80 hour weeks and starting a new company. He comforted Mistress and I when we needed it and had nothing but unconditional love for us and Mighty Mo when he came into this world. I do not think I will ever care about another dog the way I cared and treated for Buck. Its one of those special bonds that is made once in all the pets you own. His memory is forever marred by attacking my son and every time I look at my sons face I see that scar and my heart just breaks for Buck and for Mighty Mo.


5 comments:

tarheeltri said...

That's the most heartbreaking story I have heard in a long time. I would have done the same thing... guess that's why I'm so choked up now. On the other hand, this may just be that one dog Mighty Mo remembers all his life.

Nancy Toby said...

Awwww, sad story, but you did the right thing with Buck. But it's sad nevertheless.

Wil said...

Oh wow, this brought back a ton of childhood memories, you just never forget stuff like that - but it's good that Mo learns how to deal with things like this, you did the right thing.

Flatman said...

Whew...just a minute to compose myself...

What a horrible situation. I have had a dog I felt about in that way, and I can't imaging having to do what you did. How heartbreaking for you and little Mo. My heart really goes out to you on this one...

Okolo said...

Getting a new dog is the right thing for Mighty Mo.

Don't want him to be scared of dogs his whole life..