Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Why I Am Growing My Hair Out.

I have sported a high and tight military hair cut for the most part of twenty years, well as long a I can remember. But every now and again I get this wild streak to grow it out as long a possible-that equaling what my wife would consider normal hair length.

Anything longer than an inch and I begin to refer to my hair style as hippie. But again its been a month since my last cut, I have wings over my ears and I stashed a comb in my truck because I forget I have to actually do something to it now than just rub it thrice with a towel.

What does this have to do with multi-sport? Well to me there is always something so free about cycling or running..swimming is more about survival..and that freedom for me translates into 'letting my hair down' so to speak.

I look around and see few if any males growing their hair out. They all look so similar to my normal cut or more severe, bald. So I grow my hair out of counter-culture to society's male propensity for short hair. Much like I train like a triathlete as counter-culture to the carb counting set. BTW, never train for a marathon on a high-protein diet, not a good combination.

Triathletes are counter culture people by nature. We subject our bodies to training punishments that are not normal. Normal is using your gym membership twice a week and expecting dramatic results in a month. Not swimming 1000 meters in the morning and a 5 mile run in the afternoon and that's Monday. Or on Wednesday decide to run a half marathon on Sunday because, which in my case and I am being honest here, my sole motivation was, "The finish line was a mile from my house." Normal people look at us and go,"YOUR NUTS". I watched two football games last season, half a Monday Night Raw, no basketball, never Nascar, but caught every triathlon, adventure race, marathon and most of the Tour-de-France. Did you know there is a channel on the internet where you cant triathlon races live? It's called ITUtv. In my circle of friends and in my business this is not normal. Normal is counting sets and reps.

Growing my hair out and no I am not talking 'sensitive-ponytail-guy' length is my way of embracing my running, biking, hiking, climbing, kayaking and survival swimming soul. Its sometimes cool to not be normal (to not be a common man).

In the context of hair growth I owe it to my fitness rebellion to be the one guy in the room who a) is over 30 and can grow hair, b) regularly runs a 10k outside when its 115 degrees and c) wow's the hell out of people by telling them I do so.

Other people may buy new clothes, or get a tattoo when they embrace their tri life, for some reason I grow my hair out.

7 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

My hair just grows out because I never take the time to go get it cut. I'm doing some dumb workout instead.

Wil said...

This is great, love this post. You're a great writer, Com.

And now for IMFL you'll have to think about having the ritual of going Mr. Clean - maybe all the guys would go in on that - hey!! What do you think?

tarheeltri said...

I think that's true about the counter culture thing... i didn't really get into tri's until all my friends started getting fat, playing golf and poker. I think my big rebellion is against poker. I can't stand sitting still for that long especially when everyone's smoking. No thanks! Though I would play a few hands with Playboy Joel if he does IMFL.

Flatman said...

Man, I would love to grow my hair out, and my wife would love it too. But it is such a great big pain in the a$$ to fix it. I love being able to get out of the pool and it is already fixed (1/4" on top, 1/8" on sides). My wife doesn't like it that short, but it is so easy! Longer hair looks bad after having ahelmet on too....am I just lazy?

Brett said...

I agree with the counter culture thing as well. I used to be addicted to watching football and basketball. Now, I too, watch tris and cycling on OLN over anything ... football included!

Brett

Flatman said...

I can't remember the last time I sat through an entire football, basketball or baseball game. Long ago, I lived for watching sports. I didn't even compete in the office pool fantasy football last year! Funny though, I have watched the 2004 full coverage of Ironman Hawaii many times!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I love long hair on guys. Grow it out, whatever the reason. Be certain to post photos! :-)