Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Consistancy not Intensity

I have to keep reminding myself that no matter what I have to continue to build my fitness base. I love nothing better than pushing myself through distance or effort into complete and utter exhaustion.

That doesn't neccesarily help me get in all my workout's for the week. In fact I am averaging only 6 per week. Now I suppose 6 workouts a week are great for the Common Man, but I don't want to consider myself Common. Common people don't do Ironmans; focused, slightly disturbed, mostly broke because of upgrading people do Ironmans . So I really feel I need closer to 8-9 workouts a week. So its a constant battle between my Competitive Mind and my Vision Mind to set the tempo and stick to it.

Longer, slower, consistant training in all three disciplines is what is going to get me through IMFL. My goal is to get to the point where I have three workouts per week in each discipline with one of those workouts for each event being a Defining Workout.

Oh, I am sure there is some technical name other than Defining Workout that I should be calling it, but I think I missed that meeting. It was probably the same meeting they handed out the Decoder Rings and taught everyone Bilateral breathing. My Defining Workout is the long workout that I need to that week to keep progressing to a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and marathon.

Todays tasks are a 30-45 minute run in 110 degrees and a solid 60 minute swim team practice.


7 comments:

tarheeltri said...

I've tried bilateral breathing myself and given up every time. I guess if you do an ironman it's necessary, huh?

Comm's said...

good lord I hope not!

The Big Cheese said...

I guess that is why I am swimming in circles.

IMmike said...

Philosophically, I think you are right on. The key to IM training seems to be consistency and base training.

When assigning workout schedules don't just look to do 3xswim/bike/run. Think about limiters, i.e. what are your strengths/weaknesses, etc.

My feeling is that the long bike ride is the singular most important workout of the week for us novices. It allows us to survive the bike and have fresh legs for the run.

Flatman said...

Man, I would probably hurt myself patting my back if I actually got in 6 workouts a week consistently. You are a monster! 9 workouts!!! Where do you find the time man???

And yes, long slow distances are what will get us through an Ironman...after all, we have 17 hours, right?

Wil said...

Bilateral breathing used to really kick my butt, one day it just clicked for some reason, maybe because I'm so freakin' scared of drowning I want to see everything around me :)

Definitely following your advice on the long, slow distances, and I'm not lamenting at all cutting back the speed drills!

Okolo said...

So with bilateral breathing, do folks breath every third stroke or alternate between breathing left side for a while and then switch to right side?

Or whatever works for you?