Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Tying Up The Year

I suppose I will bore ya'all with my sad details of my training plan for the rest of the year. My next peaking race is P.F. Chang Rock n' Roll marathon on January 15, 2006. I consider myself an intermediate runner so I adjusted a plan I did before that works up to 20 miles at the end of November then alternates 20,15,20,15 thru December, then a two week taper. Its not my 'A' race of the year so I won't be taking an extended recovery after.

During this timeframe I also plan on getting my cycling miles up over 100 miles per week and my swimming up over 8,000 yards (4.65 miles) a week. That moves my total training time to around 15-17 hours a week.

I really think that if I can manage that through late spring, then cut back for a month then ramp up again early summer I will have a solid base for Florida in November.

Its all just planning right now. The real test is making these goals a reality through my iron will and the fear of turning into just another 'Common Man.'

7 comments:

IMmike said...

Sounds like you've got a great off season workout plan set up. I've had a hard time balancing cycling and swimming with marathon training. A plus to this is that now I can't wait to get in the pool and on the bike.

Comm's said...

Thanks Mike, this 26.2 is training miles, nothing more. So my balancing act is a little less of an issue than say you who is trying to bust out a PR or boston qualifier.

I figure I am going to have to run 26.2 in an IM, so I might as well build the mileage up.

What I really need to focus on other than increasing miles is nutrition on the bike and transitioning to a good run.

mipper said...

wow Comm, it sounds great. oh to reach the day where a marathon is simply considered "training miles". i think you've got a great plan going for you.

Wil said...

Hey! VM is also doing Changs and I think that so is Tri-mama - you're going to be TOTALLY in blogger company. How cool is that!?

And your not alone in this forging iron thing, either - bring on the off-season, we'll get through it!

Comm's said...

yes Wil, VM, is doing the full with me and tri-mama is giving up the full for the half to be better rested for her anniversary-hey thats her comment not mine!

Tri-mama wants to do some tri training here so we may go to the lake to swim, it will only be 55 degrees +/- a couple.

VM will want to eat at only the the finest I-talian places which from where he is staying is not to hard to hit.

bunnygirl said...

Hey, we'll be racing on the same day! The Houston Marathon is on January 15!

January 15 is also the day after my birthday. :-)

tri-mama said...

55 degrees? So, you're telling me I ought buy a polar cap and a 50 gallon jug of vaseoline! Good mental training I tell you! Looking forward to it!