Sunday, October 9, 2005

Doing What Can Be Done

Had a great breakthrough swim at the lake. I swum out to the buoy and then across the channel and down to the bridge. The breakthrough in this is that I swam out across the channel rather than hug the shore. Now I originally concepted that I would swim around the buoy and hug the other side but as I stroked to the bridge I realized that the other side opened up and the bridge became my closest dry land.

Mental freak out session ensued and I needed to control myself or I would have had a serious freak out session. Luckily I had faith in the wetsuit that I could float if I needed but I never broke stroke.

I did sit at my new destination for about five minutes. Mostly to calm myself down, somewhat to digest that I now had to swim across the channel again to get to the starting rock, which was only I would guess 200 meters straight ahead.

I watched as the other three swimmers completed their first of two laps and then a couple of canoes went by and then started for my destination. This time I really had no problems. I was able to look at a set of power lines that crossed the lake in the same direction so I didn't have to do any real sighting. I suppose these were similar to the black lines I have in a pool.

I was set for a 3 mile run but Mistress and Mo had gone to a car appointment and Mo was not doing well so I had to rush out there and pick him up. The rest of the day was taking care of him.

2 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

That's awesome! I envy you your open water swimming practice - this is valuable training time!! Hope Mo is feeling better!!

Flatman said...

Nice swimming and give Mo a noogie for me!