Friday, October 21, 2005

"I am an Otter"

It took me 90 minutes of driving across town in midday track but I was able to make the lake swim practice yesterday. I did the entire 1.1 mile loop all on my own, with no back up. It took me 54 minutes. Yes that is painfully slow but I do believe that consistancy and confidence will drop that closer to 40-45 minutes within the next year. So that is good news.

There were only a few moments of panic during the swim, non that wrecked me but enough for me to remember. So I used an affirmation:

"I am an Otter."
As you can see I was celebrating the finish of my swim, my hands are up in celebration.

If you have recieved this months copy of Triathlon Times as part of your USAT membership, flip to page 16 and look at the picture. No it is not me, its my friend Joe Umphenour racing in the Baker Cookie World Championships last August. Just a little plug for one of my tri mentors.

6 comments:

Wil said...

What an adorable picture!

mipper said...

YAY Comm! that is great that you felt comfortable enough to go on your own. i'll take confidence in the water over speed anyday.

Cliff said...

:). Do u learn how to hit the clams on the rock to break them open as well :D

PuddyRat said...

90 minute drive to swim for just under an hour? Now I call that dedicatioin. And I'll ditto mipper that confidence in the water is more important than speed right now. At my first couple of Olympic distance tris, it took me an hour just to go .9 miles, nevermind doing 1.1. You are doing fine. Just keep doing it. The speed will come.

bunnygirl said...

Sounds like you're doing great! Open water can be a real psychological bugaboo. I can see from the pic that you don't shave before your swims, though. Any reason for that? ;-)

Nancy Toby said...

Go OtterMan! Go!!