Monday, October 31, 2005

The experiments is (are) over

Well I cut my hair. I know, I know this has nothing to do specifically with triathlon but for some strange reason I was equating my growth in triathlon with a sort of 'rebirth' of my life and I felt a new look would help. It didn't. Excluding one bet in 1999, which I won, and the last six months, my crewcuts been a part of image for the last 20 years. There were years where I felt I could control nothing but the legnth of my hair and I kept it short. Ten years in the infantry didn't hurt that image.

So apart from me looking like a cross between Quasimodo and the Elephant Man, here is the before the after of my haircut this weekend.










The other experiment that is not over yet but may soon be is drinking coffee. I haven't had a cup in over two weeks but not a day goes by that I don't wish I had just a sip of the black gold. I am tired all morning long. I think about dressing up as a coffee drinker for Halloween.

I have so many awesome pictures from Soma that I can post one a day for the rest of the year. I think instead I will just pepper some of my favorites in twos or threes this week. As a result you get to see some of my training partners doing their part on the course.

Mike, my partner who crashed literally at my feet finished the last 20 miles on my mountain bike for the bike portion and then ran the half marathon in terrible pain. He finished in 7:45. He was taken to the ER from the finish line and had a bruised rib and some contusions.

He had enough determination in him to ask his girlfriend to marry him at the finish line and she said yes. She didn't know if she should cry for herself or for Mike. So she saved both for later to be there for him.

6 comments:

tarheeltri said...

What a great proposal story! And don't give up the coffee! How about just one cup in the AM?

Nytro said...

i definitely like the haircut. as for the coffee... you could just move to Utah where people will stone you if you drink it... that'll help wake you up in the morning and it will make your decision not to drink it that much easier. Polygamy we're okay with... but coffee? Get a rope.

mipper said...

no, no, nytro, we'd never stone him. you see, in Utah, we just substitute diet coke for coffe. no one buys coffee here, but not a week goes by in the grocery store where i don't see at least 2 ladies with 4 or more 12 packs of coke, diet coke or some other caffinated soda.

btw, i like the haircut. i prefer short hair though. my dad and brother were military men, so i grew up around teh theory "the shorter the hair, the better you can kick someone's butt." except, change butt into military language and yeah... that's what i grew up around.

how is mistress with this? it was in the contract....

Comm's said...

yes mipper, it is in the contract that I grow my hair out. For the rest of you trying to get up to speed read "Training Contract" in my sidebar for the jist.

Mistress while not happy that I crossed that line is not completely unhappy. She thinks I look younger and all the grew is chopped out. I think my face looks thinner.

tri-mama said...

I like the short cut-it looks great! What a race! I find I like watching the races almost as much as I like competing--almost. Thanks for the report and the pics.

Keryn said...

I love the shorter look. My husband tried to grow his hair out (not at my request, but he did get it down to his chin) but cut it really short again. He looks much better with short hair. You look great with short hair, too.

I personally can't fathom the concept of giving up coffee. I have a nice tall coffee with skim milk in the morning and a glass of tea (hot in winter, iced in summer) in the afternoons. I figure if it was ok for me to drink coffee while I was pregnant, it's ok to drink it now.