Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Slow But Low

I knew last nights 14 mile run was going to be a bit of a grind. My legs were still a bit weak from the pounding I gave them on Sundays 50 mile TT and 6 mile run.

Well my body’s natural cadence put me at 10:30 miles and wouldn’t budge. I was not very happy about that but my heart rate averaged only 146 bpm so I looked at the bright side of this training run. Ultimately the goal is to run a marathon at around 9:30 a mile with my HR that low, then with the few water breaks that I take my overall time ends up around 10:00 miles. With my HR in the mid range it doesn't even feel like a cardio workout.

Today is a 3,500-4,000 yard pool swim. Not sure yet how I am going to mix it up today but I have a 3 hour meeting coming up so I can figure that then.

2 comments:

IMmike said...

Comm,
How often do you run? I know the marathon is a fun run and you don't want to disrupt things but adding an extra run day each week might help with the running pace. Just 3 miles or so. It seems like frequency can make a huge impact on running because it loosens up and strengthens joints.

Don't know if this helps or not. But, since I've been running 5 days a week I've become able to run a lot faster at a similar effort. (Not a complaint)

Comm's said...

I'm running 3 times a week with consistancy and try to get a fourth if I can. Tuesday is my long run, Sunday is a brick run then at least one other run in there somewhere.

Looking back at my running training over the years I have run anywhere from 4-6 days a week when it was exclusively running. Since I am looking for balance in three disciplines and consider myself weak in one and average in the other, I have been trying to keep parity in my training.