Monday, October 24, 2005

Lessons learned

Lessons learned from yesterdays ride:

  1. iPods do not survive falls from a jersey at 20 mph. BTW it happened on mile 3 of 55. Once I get it registered, I missed that step somehow, I will send it in for a hopefully new unit since they replace instead of fix if possible. The bright side is that Apple discontinued the mini in favor of the nano. So today I get to go and buy a new iPod nano. No I am not very happy about that. Yes I could send my unit in and play the wait or see game. Yes I like to buy new Shiny Things but not in this manner.
  1. I had a rear tire flat on the same freeway that I did a few weeks ago. However unlike last time when I waited on the side of the road for two hours, I had two tubes and three CO2’s with me. This time I decided to see how fast I could change the rear out and get back on the bike. In my haste to change out the tube I failed to visually or physically inspect the tire and I had to stop every five miles to fill up the slowly deflating tube until I could limp home. Luckily I only had fifteen miles left.

  1. Wear a base layer. Yes this is a desert I live in. Yes the daytime highs are 86 degrees. That does not mean that I can wear a singlet without arms and still stay warm if the sun is not up. I froze my ass off and in between my mental flogging I was giving myself over the iPod and my teeth chattering, I remembered the UnderArmor that I purposefully put out and just as purposefully disregarded as I got dressed.

Well all things considered it was a learning experience which will only get better today as I get to spend $250 on an iPod nano and probably another $50 on set up since nothing from the mini will swap over, specifically the car radio adapter and belt clip. Hell I could buy some really cool Shiny Things for $250 but instead I have to file this under- ‘Stupid Tax.’ Is that better than a ‘Flat Tax?’
___________________________________
Follow up: Yes I know all the heading are labeled 1. I typed this in Blogger for Word to save the post offline, since blogger only saves the most current 300 posts.

7 comments:

Comm's said...

Yes I know that all the tabs are labeled as 1. I typed this is Blogger for Word and published off the computer. I am having a hard time today getting posts published for some reason online.

Cliff said...

Sometimes blogger has to backup its server. Maybe that's the prob with your publishing.

Sorry to hear about the death of your ipod. It's a wonder why don't they make all the acessories compatible. Wait, they need to make money..oh yeah..

Flabbyironman said...

ugh. sorry to hear about the stupid tax. I've paid plenty of stupid tax in my life. Did you get your 'stupid tax' phrase from Dave Ramsey? Ang and I are still working our total money makeover (which is yet one more reason why I probably won't be in Florida next year)

Do you have a frame pump? At least for training, it might make sense to carry that instead of the CO2... (says the paranoid guy who carries one after the time he had five flats in one ride (which finished off with a taco'ed front wheel)

Flatman said...

Nope, no Flat tax...just a Flatman Tax. Which costs exactly the same as a new Ipod Nano for me!

Glad you got your whole ride in, even with the flats! Come ride with me. You will be guaranteed not to flat as my beast sucks up all road debris and promptly flats me!

Mica said...

Sorry about the ipod, that stinks! Aren't you nervous listening to music while riding around cards though? I couldn't do it!

Papa Tweet said...

How coincidental is this. I read your post about Might Mo in the pumpkin patch as Nytro carves our pumpkins. I asked her if she liked carving pumpkins and she said no, it's just something that has to be done. To each his own I guess.

Anyway, sorry about the ipod and the flat tires. Any of those flats happen on the Soma course?

William said...

I agree with Flabby. Get a mini road pump. They can be very small and they never run out of O2. Mine is a Planet Bike Mini Road Pump and it inflates tires very fast.

I wish I had a stupid tax. I would love something larger than my 128 Mb RCA Lyra piece o' crap player. I'll have to work on a story like yours to sell to my wife too. Way to go.

300 posts? Wow. Thats not good. I may also start using blogger for windows. I originally tried it but wasn't impressed.

I don't think it allows pictures.