Thursday, October 6, 2005

The Last Addiction

Today begins an experiment in severing the last tie to physical addiction I have-COFFEE.

It's been most of a week since my food poisioning thing and my GI still isn't 100%. I feel like I have a good deal of acid in my gut. The Good Doctor, the de facto leader of my tri-team, put me on some digestive enzymes last month and when I take them on time when I eat (when being the operative term), I think I notice a good difference.

I think what I need to focus on is lowering the acidity in my stomach. Coffee is pretty much the most acidic and frequent substance I put in my body that could do this. So as of the 4 sips I had this morning on the way to the 7-11 for rolaids I am no longer inbibing coffee.

DO YOU REALIZE HOW SCREWED UP THIS IS GOING TO BE!

If you drink more than 20 oz of coffee a day your addicted. Getting off that addiction is painful. Trust me I have done it before. Headaches, body aches, moodiness. The devil is in the details, I am not just quitting coffee but all caffine.

I stopped drinking soda on January 1st. Cold turkey and had no problems. I drank12-100 ozs a day for many years.

Early this summer I stopped taking in dairy unless it was lactose free and I do feel much better.

I can honestly report I have never drank a Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, et. al.

But this coffee thing is my last vestige of being a somewhat normal guy. I don't drink soda, I don't eat doughnuts, I don't eat pizza, I don't eat cheese. Yeah I have a couple of beers every now and then but I don't go to bars.

This may not last more than a couple of days. Hell it may not last past today. Wish me luck and I will keep you informed.

16 comments:

Joe Powel said...

Tom's Hardware launches MobilityGuru
Tom's Hardware launched MobilityGuru. They describe it as our new site covering laptops, PDAs, and ... Weblog authors are solely responsible for the content and accuracy of their weblogs, including opinions they express, and O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

Flatman said...

Man, that is some undertaking. I wish you all the luck and willpower in the world...you are going to need it all!

(you are a stronger man than I)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You are a brave man. I cannot imagine life without coffee. Good luck!

Mica said...

You can do it!! Once you get past the first few days, it will be a piece of cake.

Oldman said...

i quit coffee a while back and I'm caffine free now it i could stop the beer, wine, and tequila i think i could run faster!

Flatman said...

mmm. cake. coffee goes good with cake...

Nancy Toby said...

I couldn't do my workouts without coffee. If that's what it takes for me to be a triathlete, so be it!

But good luck to you!!!!!!!!! How's that sledgehammer headache?

mipper said...

oh, good luck comm! i don't drink coffee, but in my sleep deprived mommy days i do drink way more caffinated soda than i should. it's so bad for me. i am trying to break the habit of caffinated soda and then onto no soda at all. good luck with the coffee. you're a strong man.. you can do it!

Keryn said...

I believe addicted is the right word to use for my relationship with coffee. The fact that I call it a relationship should tell you a lot.

I figure this kind of thing comes in stages. I'm still working on giving up doughnuts, cookies, cake, etc. I'll get around to soda and coffee at some point. Maybe... :)

You're a brave and noble man, Comm!

tarheeltri said...

That's a big decision there Comm... for me, giving up dairy finally gave me the freedom to sever my relationship with Tums and Rolaids (I kept them in a candy dish on my desk!)... are you 100% sure it's the coffee? Think this through before doing anything drastic!

Papa Tweet said...

I don't drink coffee but I do have my own vices. If I tried to give up Honey Nut Cheerios for good, I don't know if I could go on. Good luck with the endeavor. Hit me a comment on my blog with your e-mail and we can talk about the Soma Half. Keep doin' what your doin'.

IMmike said...

Say it ain't so!! There's a couple of things in life I couldn't live without. Oxygen, Food, Water, Coffee, can't think of much else.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Coffee?! But but but, it's good for you, right? I'm sure I saw some study somewhere saying it's good for you...
Seriously, good luck! Do you have a bottle of tylenol-asprin-ibuprofen-headache med handy? The withdrawls from caffiene are wicked. Oh ouch, my head hurts just thinking about it. You can do it though, if you can give up pizza you can give up anything!

Wil said...

Oh no -- get ready for the headache crunch, but then you're free!

MB said...

I'm pretty impressed with your discipline already. I say everything in moderation. Doughnuts are far more evil than coffee, right?

freethoughtguy said...

Wow - your post has such great advice. I am quitting coffee and I hope to be as successful as you!