Friday, April 1, 2005

No Dream Succeeds Without A Plan

This is my third and final installment in creating a race plan. The first went over recognizing your support system and the second on capturing your dream to make it a reality. The final steps are listed below.

Lets say your dream is to finish a triathlon. Why would I think that?

I already said to thank the support team you have because your long and erratic training plan affects them in ways you didn't even understand. Then I blogged that you have to have a dream bigger than you and must have an iron will to stay focused and plugged into your 'Dream Matrix'. The next step in your reaching your dreams is to have a plan.

I am not saying there is only one plan. I am not even saying that you have to follow someone elses plan. You just need to have one and understand the basics of dream building. Most of the time I take exsisting plans and pare them together to my training style and obstacles I forsee. Remember when I posted that the difference between a runner and a jogger was a blank entry form? To enter a race, there is usually some planning occuring to peak correctly, make arrangements for eating and hydrating, scheduling time off if out of town. The point is a jogger has no destination, a runner knows where their going.

Step 1. Keep the end in mind. What is the Dream event? What is your racing position-to have fun? To finish? To P.R.? Never forgot the big, hunkin' goal you have set in front of you.

Step 2. Back Plan. Once you have your race date, start your back dating from there. From the moment you leave to the staging area on race day all the way back to the moment you create your plan. If out of town you need to get time off, then acclimatize, drive the route. If local the same could apply. What will you take with you? What do you need now to support training (road bike, swim gear, a pool to use).

This takes a lot of time, but if your dreaming enough about it, well then you are already thinking about most of this stuff just get it on paper and prioritize it by timeline. I would suggest reading books or even better surfing the internet for personal stories of people doing what your wanting to do. Then take that information and apply it to your situation.

Back Plans are not training plans but your realistic timeline to complete your dream. Important: A dream must be bigger than you but can't be bigger than your capacity. Can you do a half ironman in three months if you haven't swum regularly, don't currently own a bike and can't run two miles? Probably not. But given enough time absolutely.

Step 3. Increase Your Capacity (i.e. sport specific training) To phsycially finish a triathlon the majority of excercise is not going to take place in the weight room. To become proficient you have to swim, you have to bike and you have to run and you should spend time in core training all the while following proper nutrition and supplementation. Most people can naturally do each triathlon event but never underestimate the ability of a coach, trainer or group setting to accelerate your skill set. If possible seek guidance, watch video, read books, subscribe to magazines.

I increase my mental capacity by writing out a vision statement of exactly, specificly, how I see myself during the race. I write out what I am wearing, how my legs feel during events, that nagging body parts do not hurt. Everything is written in the positive, (i.e. My knees have no pain, I see myself moving effortlessly past other cyclists). Every day read how your entire event will play out and when obstacles present themselves in training you write those in, (if shin splints suddenly appear in training, write in, I feel no pain in my shins as I run). Use positive affirmations, biblical verses, whatever to strengthen your resolve and reinforce the dream.

Step 4. Tell everyone. By telling family, friends and co-workers what your dream is, it expands your support system and commits you to not back out. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have worked out simply because I told someone I was and knew they would ask me later how it went. Accountability does not guarantee success but it does give you outside motivation which is signifcant.

I am by no means an expert in this. I am sure in the talk back section many of you will have steps that I left out or important points that need clarificaton. Please do. But for the majority of people who have never dared to reach for their dream, this should give you hope and a loose plan.

Dare to be great and to cite the greatest comic strip of all time, this quote:

Seize the Day; and throttle it- Calvin & Hobbes

2 comments:

White Salamander said...

More outstanding advice and I didn't even have to buy book with an allegoric account of rodents and dairy products.

I would add to Step 4, as part of "Tell Everyone", start a Blog. My blog has kept my training more on track than anything else so far.

Wil said...

Wow, this was great. You have a knack of posting stuff like this at the most appropriate times of life's ups and downs. Thanks for the positive message.