Wednesday, April 27, 2005

BONUS WED'S POST: Preventing A Pulled Hammy

I know that when my back is tight (which is daily) or really messed up (right now) that my glutes and hammy's are fired up and part of the problem. Know I don't really stretch much, I do some corrective stretchs but always felt too much stretching was counter productive to working out, and now leading scientists may be proving me right, but I digress...

While in PT with Dr. Billingham, hereafter known simply as Simon, today, I asked him to check the hammys to see if loosening those up would help my back. The test was with me on my back and him moving each leg to 90 degrees. Right leg about 80 and the left 70. So not bad but then he turns into Torquemada and begand to stretch me out using Active-Isolation-Resistance or some type of caca-rocka mumbo jumbo and BAM did that hurt. After a few sets I felt much looser and better for it but I sometimes wonder why I opened my big mouth. BTW I love e-stim (electrical stimulation) I always get it just a bit too high in the beginning because I get used to the pain. Otherwise I don't get that Umph all the way through the 15 minute session.

No comments: