Sunday, April 17, 2005

An Unexpected Gift..Or Shrewd Ploy By The Racer?

Some big changes afoot at the bargining table. The case by Mistress was suddenly rocked with an unexpected phone call from Long Lost Friend (LLF) that swings negotiating into my favor. Hah Hah!

A big road block in my race planning revolved around a road bike. Mistress wanted good-faith on my part by participating in more triathlons this year before releasing funds for a new road bike. I, Racer, firmly councilled that I must have a road bike to train with specificity. Mistress wants me to use my mountain bike. We have both been intractable.

Then a bolt from the blue. LLF calls and says she ran into mutual friends and found out I did a triathlon last month and have more planned. She calls me up and says, "Hey I was thinking of you and wanted to know if you wanted your Softride back, make me an offer." Guh! (to quote Wil)

I don't think science has a name for the speediness in which I returned that call. Apparantly LLF is six months pregnant and no longer has the competitive spirit in her for cycling events. After a short 'what-have-you-been-up-to-this-is what-I-have-been-up-to", I made her a reasonable offer at lower than she paid for it and she counter-offered at a much lower price, saying this bike should be with me. Guh! Again. I am getting this bike back for almost nothing.

The price technically fell under the pre-stipulated clause with Mistress in what we can each spend without spousal approval, but I called her anyway and she was very happy, so I picked it up. (Side note: Come on people, all of you married bloggers have a pre-set price with your spouse for the amount of money you can spend without asking-whether you know it or not. A wife goes shopping and knows there is a set limit to amount of clothes she can buy without getting the lifted eyebrow and a guy knows that if he goes golfing the holes better not cost more than a certain amount, or there will be some splannin' to do.)

I immediately took the bike to Kevin at Tribe Multisport and after his initial, "Whoah talk about time warp" comments because the bike is originally spec'ed for 1998, we drooled and plotted and schemed on the upgrades.

Kevin acknowledged the bike is in excellent condition. LLF put a thick gel seat on her that just must go, so I am upgrading to a Serfas Tri seat. Then switching over to Speedplay clipless pedals with Shimano Vector shoes. The compo group is a very dated Shimano RX 100/105 set up (no longer sold but on par with Tiagra) but in very good shape so we are keeping that for now. So that and a top quality tune up and body rub, some new decals and the bike will be ready mid week.

This just goes to show that affirmations and prayer work. I was not praying for this bike back but a road bike for triathlons. It was beyond dreams that this bike would come back into my life. I learned how to ride on this bike. I consider it the first bike I ever bought. I bought this bike with an identical one for Mistress for her tri's that she did. Its like a long lost family member coming home.

By the way, the day I bought her is the day I named her... Lucille.

4 comments:

Flatman said...

Nice, I have always liked softrides...make sure you introduce us to her with some photos!

soccerdad said...

cool. congrats on the bike - could that have gone more perfectly, or what??!!
you know, i have attempted to negotiate money, training, and the like with my wife also. unfortunately (and perhaps because she has been watching alot of sports with me the last few years), she has learned about the art of contract renegotiation!
me: "but honey, you said you'd take sara to gymnstics class tomorrow morning so i could get my long ride in."
her: "that was before i realized (insert any reasonable or ridiculous reason here, for example "i have a paper due" or "i want to go play bingo"). you'll have to do your ride some other time."
me: "grrr"

i wish you better luck with your dealmaking!!

Frank the Tank said...

Congratulations on the bike. I have a '98 bike as well and you inspired me to see what I can do to upgrade rather than buy new and have a similar discussion with my wife (You already have two bikes . . . what do you need another one for).

I feel your pain soccerdad . . . both of my kids are playing baseball/softball as well as Spring soccer. Because they always seem to be playing in totally different directions my wife and I need to split up. Well, she gave me my son's baseball game. O.k. , great, Should be done by 3PM, I'll go for a ride right afterwards. . . well it turned out it was a double header lasting until after 6 (at which point I needed to get him to yet another activity). So I asked my wife, how come you didn't tell me they were playing two . . . She says "I thought the "Dh" on the schedule meant designated hitter".

But . . . I'd rather have active kids and squeeze in what I can than a couple of couch potatoes.

Wil said...

Cool! Congrats on the bike! And what a neat name! So, where's the pic??