Saturday, April 9, 2005

A Bystanders Account of Arizona Ironman 2005

Rett and I met bright and early to get to the first ironman held in Arizona, the first in the United States this year and only the third of the entire year in the world (Australia and New Zealand were held in March).

There was more triathletes than spectators which was a bit disappointing. I was personally expecting, and hoping for a large crowd. This event is being held in a huge city after all. At least it was easy to get a good position for the swim start. Most people had the thought that it was going to take place off the pier in front of the triathletes as they lined up near the water. Rett, had the foreknowledge that it was a deep water start so we went up on the bridge and posted good locations before the crowd showed. He also took many pictures and is posting them from his blog.

I was fortunate enough to know one of the pro competitors, Lance Muzslay, who is a good friend and my running mentor. Fortunate in that I had someone to root for. While their were several ironman veterans and up and comers racing, my ears picked up when they announced that Robyn Benincasa had come out of the water. She is considered to be the best female adventure racer in the world and before that a podium finisher in many ironmans. I had the distinct pleasure of having her blow by me on a 15-miler like I was standing still a few years ago. I should have expected a woman of her fierce competitive spirit to be a part of this race in her hometown.

I stationed myself at the exit to T1 and tried to get good photos of triathletes preparing for the 112 mile bike. Man are those people fast! I will post those photos tomorrow.

Well after 95% of the bikes were out of T1, I punched up my good friend Joe Umphenour on the phone. Joe is in town cheering on his girlfriend who is doing her first ironman. Joe is one of the best ITU triathletes in the world. He and Mistress Carol were on the same Jr. High swim team way back when. Tomorrow he leaves for Honolulu for the ITU World Championships, quickly followed by races in Mazatlan and Japan. Wish him luck.
Example

Here we are with Joe "TriTigger" on the left.

As he burns 1 million calories a day, he isn't called TriTigger for nothing,
he bounced off to find some food and then check in with his girlfriends bike progress. Before he left the three of us did spend some time checking out the names of competing Pro's that Joe knew using the Alpha List, and with each one he recognized he gave a small anticdote on their longevity or how they competed against each other.

I asked about some of the favorite racers I watch and he gave me some very disappointing news about one in particular. Very disappointing. But I won't say who or what until I see if its okay to talk about it.

With the bike well underway Rett and I rode our mountain bikes back to our cars. It would be at least three hours until the marathon portion of the race. As we passed the triathletes hammering through their bike laps we gave them motivational cheers and Huzzahs.

It is unbelievable that I will continue on with my dreary day while these amazing athletes continue to move their bodies forward to the inevitable finish line 140 miles from where they started.

Oh and tomorrow I will post the most inspirational picture that I took all day.




No comments: