Tuesday, April 5, 2005

PSA: Training in HOT weather

Yesterdays run got me thinking about proper education to training in inclimate weather. This week is forecasted to hit 90 degress with less than 10% humidity. By next month it will be 100, then soon after it will be over 100 days of 100+ degrees with less than 5% humidity. There have been weeks at a time when daytime temps. stay above 110 and even hit 120 degrees.

However, training can and does continue throughout the summer for many people. I routinely run at lunch time when its well over 110 degrees. However to do this takes smarts and a lack of ego. Soon as it begins to get hot where ever you are, here is a reminder of how to train smart when its hot.

I will preface this by saying that I have suffered from several hospital visits due to heat injury. I once spent a weekend in a hospital for heat stroke, was in a coma for a very short period of time, got kidney failure from it and took 18 liters of I.V. over the first ten hours (you try getting 4.5 gallons of water in you that fast). Since then I suffered heat exhaustion and dehydration many times. In fact when I finished the Rock n' Roll Arizona marathon in 2004, I vomited all over the inside of my truck just before getting home, suffering from heat exhaustion. The temperature that day in January was 75 degrees. It can hit at any time.

1. Water System. Notice I did not say just 'water'. Its not enough to take a small bottle with you. If you plan on running or biking in the heat you need a water belt or even better a Camelback system. Ground temperature can easily reach 150 degress in Phoenix. I have melted shoes standing in a parking lot. While running the moisture is literally sucked from your body. While riding, there is the added exposure to blistering hot wind. For an hour of training a minimum of 40 ounces and closer to 70 ounces is needed.

2. Sunscreen and UV protection. Its not enough, here at least, to just wear a 30 spf. Long sleeve performance tops and anti-glare glasses are a must. While the water will literally save your life out there, sunscreen and eye wear allow you to train year round (i.e. don't get burned). Look for your preference; some perfer creams, others pumps, they even have aerosol sprays. Plus don't forget lip protection, doesn't that drive you nuts to train with chapped, dry lips?. Don't be fooled by anything over 30 spf as a sunscreen as the difference is only in thickness not protection.

3. Time of Day. It is professionally recommended to train outside early in the morning or later at night. Well when it dosen't drop below 90 degrees at midnight, does it really matter? My time tested results say as long as you are acclimatizing to the heat by being in it the main concern only becomes UV not sun and dehydration.

4. F.I.T.T. Principle. This stands for Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type, here. When going outside for a run or ride here at 105 degrees, or 85 degrees with high humidity where you are, be prepared to shorten your session as heat and humidity affect your bodies conditioning. Just as yesterday the wind made my run more dificult by creating force, the heat and humidity can affect the body. Most of us can recognize the concept its the application that gets us in trouble. It might be that a morning bike session took too much energy from you and instead of an afternoon run, apply that time to a gym session in the air conditioning to work on strength and core movements.

5. Identification. Always carry some I.D. on you. A drivers lisence or better yet a Road ID tag for your shoe. Not only do I use that but I used a label maker and put my name, blood type and wifes cell phone number on the dog tags I wear.

Personal note here. I swear by road ID. I have my name and blood type, wifes name and cell phone, a "prior heat casulty' notification and a personal saying, FINISH-never quit. Yes the quote is directly below the notification, I never said I was smart. At least the EMT's will get a kick out of it when they pick me up unconscious on the side of the road.

6. Communication. Always tell someone where your going, what your doing and when you will be back, especially if your training during work or after. See people at work don't understand the madness that occurs if you miss a session, plus they will think your nuts which can work for you as well. Really the reason is that adverse conditions can cause unexpected delays in your return, like say a trip to the E.R. for heat exhaustion. The ultimate communication is a cell phone tucked into your pack. Yes I said cell phone, remember I wrote earlier to leave your ego at the door? Well if you need a camelback backpack to carry phone, sunscreen, wallet, lip balm, then do it. A Murphy's Law states, "If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

7. Pool Workouts. I have a backyard pool, with a diving board no less. So I can just hop out of my chair after my favorite t.v. show or even during a commerical break and get in some laps. But don't think the pool is any safer. While being in the water sounds nice, my outdoor backyard pool regularly is above 90 degrees, plus the UV glare is harsher in the water environment than anywhere. Pro's and con's. In a couple of months I will post a picture of how to lap swim in backyard pool.

So its not necessary in desert conditions to stop training but no matter where you live train with thorough knowledge of whats waiting for you outside the door.

3 comments:

White Salamander said...

Thanks for all of the excellent tips. I know I am not looking forward to the summer heat wave. At least I won't be playing rugby be in it this year. I am secretly contemplating the idea of becomiing an arctic explorer over the next few months. So if anyone knows of anyone hiring an arctic explorer please feel free to pass on the info. :)

Flatman said...

Cool post and good info. as it gets pretty hot here in Texas as well. We don't have as much sand, but it can swelter just the same! And we get to deal with high humidity and the same time!

Wil said...

Well, no heat problem here yet, but the summer can get pretty sticky. Thanks for the tips!