Monday, April 4, 2005

Monday Bonus Blog: Ugh Wind!

Well got a bit behind at work and instead of my longer run I ended up picking between a flat fast 30 min. or a hilly, rough terrain 30 min. Deciding to beat myself for the mental lapse I choose the hills.

But I hadn't been outside all day and no one mentioned that the freaking wind is knocking down trees! I just checked the weather when I got back and its 80 degrees and 25-29 mph winds. I actually felt like it was going to be a cake run when the wind was at my back, then as I turned onto the lake trail (Tempe Town Lake, were the AZ Ironman is this weekend) I about got knocked on my ass. As the trail is really a utility road, the wind was pushing the dirt in waves of dust caps and it pelted me mercilessly.

This is payback for bike this morning. It got a bit better as the trail turns into a parking area. I really hope it dies down for the AZ IM, I would drown if I had to swim 2 miles in that chop, how could you make any headway against 25 mph winds?

Oh the tree, on the way out from the office I heard a large crash behind a fence, I knew it was a part of tree falling, but when I looked I didn't see a crew working on it (which is pretty normal out here). Then as I was in the last 100 yards, with the wind finally to my back, I heard another big crash and watched a huge tree topple across the street in a park.

4 comments:

Wil said...

Holy cow! You were lucky one didn't land near (on!) you!

White Salamander said...

Yeah the wind was fun tonight in the outdoor pool as well. You get an extra punch in Man card for sticking to it and shaking of the CMS's desire to say "screw this" and go to Baja Fresh and have a Burrito Ultimo

Flabbyironman said...

We're getting your wind tomorrow. It's supposed to drop from 70something today down to 45 tomorrow with wind gusts up to 50mph. fun fun!

Commodore, you MUST go down towards midnight to watch the end of Ironman AZ this weekend... watching and cheering common men (and women) as they come through the chute after struggling all day is a pretty cool experience.

Comm's said...

FI,
I was just thinking about how and when I was going to go down there and I think you are right on. I am going to go down there later in the evening.

Thanks for the idea. Will post pictures Sunday. The Tranisition area is about a mile from my office.