Thursday, April 14, 2005

Have Your People Call My People

Mistress Carol and I are in deep negotiations for my upcoming racing season, which includes wild-ass ambitions down to local 5k's. I have shown good faith already by already completing three races this year, 1, 2, 3, after a six month rehab assignment but now is when the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

We have a son, the Mighty Mo, who has some immune system issues that could throw everything in the waste basket if he goes sideways again and make all the pain and suffering a mute point. But in my offensive arsenal, and Mistress knows this, he has been doing very well the last few months and my parents moved here to help take care of him because he can't be in general daycare because of his system. So the 3-7 hour workouts on weekends could be back on the table and in play. Then again I could also get injuried again like last year.

Mistress is completely supportive of my endurance pursuits, more than most spouses, but still there are sacrifices that we, well any family really, must make for endurance racing. Sacrifices of time, money, emotional detachment, shifting of household responsibilities, we even discuss at what times I will get up or go to bed so as to not disrupt the house and, well, her. Believe me for every big ticket event I pitch she comes back with a big ticket sacrifice I have to make and I'm not talkin' more back rubs.

Its still going to take a week or so of robust dialogue to get this deal (my schedule) down where I have complete buy in and unconditional support from her on my training and races and I know what it's going to cost me in terms of...well she hasn't really told me all that yet. I'll keep you posted.


4 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Whew! Good topic! My husband is a non-runner and a diehard non-early-riser, which keeps him home with our two toddlers during most of my events. They haven't been able to be out in public & around germs much either since they were preemies, but now are almost 2 and should be starting to grow out of that, thank goodness. Neither of us have done a lot in the last couple of years, but now we're gearing up for more activities. His (sailing and flying) are concentrated in midsummer, fortunately, while mine (running and tris) are most active in spring and fall. We do have to keep a family calendar several months out, and negotiate a lot!

Flatman said...

Man, I can totally sympathize...my wife, even though she is in great shape (and secretly I know she could kick my ass in any event she actually trained for) does not relate to the word race. She wonders why I would want to pay to do these things. "Isn't it already expensive enough to get all the gear, but now you have to pay to use it?" This will be my first year of actually competing. I have ridden my bike lots and always run some too, but never actually entered many events. I hope she doesn't notice all the races I have been loking up on the internet...!

soccerdad said...

my wife reacts just like yours, flatman. she absolutely cannot understand why someone would want to do these races - and pay for them, yet too. the thing helping me is the fact that my oldest children are getting into it. now that they're becoming interested, it is suddenly becoming palatable to her. i'm hoping this will help me also. we shall see......

White Salamander said...

You hit the nail on the head. I am having a hard time justifying the entry fee for my tri to my wife. She supports my like crazy for the actual training but doesn't understand the need to take it beyond that.