Saturday, May 20, 2006

Twas The Night Before

Saturday 9pm

The night before a big race is usually a somber mood. My mind, heart and body all pushing equal amounts of bravado and anxiety. Mental tick marks on what would be great splits followed by the mental admonishment at the folly of the thought. Finishing and having fun are what really matter.

So why do I have this feeling? The feeling is not fear, I have faced the demons of the three disciplines already. Is it anxiety for the race, the challenge? A bit. Maybe my body subconsciously remembers the anticipation and vibration felt in the tranistion area that last hour before the cannon blows. Surely I feel some of that jitteriness now.

Some of it is that I am all alone tonight. It is just me and a dark house and my mind before it finally falls into a restless sleep. Usually Mistress is next to me, telling me, "You'll be fine, your stressing way to much." No Mighty Mo to kiss on the forehead as I leave so early in the morning. I called. Both were distracted by a dinner in their honor at a friends house 2,000 miles away. Its their night and she gave me what time little time she could.

I have no reason to worry or feel strange. Some of the best peace I get daily is during the training I do for races like this. I love this sport.

4 comments:

Rainbow said...

I concur wholeheartedly. I had very similar feelings Friday night. Best of luck to you and yes it is a great sport!

Flo said...

I hate the night before a race more than the anyother part. Good luck today!!!!

Fe-lady said...

Thought about you today at your race-looing for results but they aren't posted yet! Can't wait to hear about it! :-)

Cliff said...

Isn't it feel great? I know the feeling is bad..but I LOVE IT. Something about training everyday and then put everything u got on one day. :)