Thursday, May 11, 2006

Parade for a Fool

Today is test day. Yet unlike all those tests in school that blew off because I was hung over or just didn't care, this test is literally testing my ability to 'survive' in the water. Melodramatic? You bet your ass it is.

Later this afternoon, I am swimming in Canyon Lake without a wetsuit out to the buoy in the open water and then we can figure out how far back into the canyon I go from there. Personally I will look at this as a sucess to complete one lap without assistance (roughly 1,000 yards) but would really be more comfortable with another 3/4 of a lap back into the canyon and then swimming back to the starting rock. Obviously two full laps sans wetsuit would be the ultimate breakthrough since that is a half ironman swim (2.000 yards).

I am the fool and this this is my parade. The Machine, who has a huge giving spirit and has always been there pushing me through swim obstacles will be lurking about with a boogie board lashed to his leg just in case. You know, just in case things don't go according to plan and I need a rest. The boogie board will act as the race day kayak I can rest on. Big John had already planned on bringing his boat out for waterskiing afterwards so he is going to try to get it in the water before hand and hang back on me. But John says he wants to swim real close with me so he can give me some, "REAL ironman swim experience." Ahhh, not sure what that means, can anyone fill me in on that?

Todd, another amazing training pal, and had a cameo in my drowning post last year at this very same lake, will also be there as yet another wingman.

Then add, oh, another probably two to four people clearly stating they want to ride in the boat but always smile when they say that. Like a mob at a gladiator event I tell you.

I being the fool that I am for the stupid and yet overwhelming fear of open water, no wetsuit swimming will be leading the procession in the lake tomorrow. I suppose it goes without saying that if Mistress is posting on here next; please send money, not gifts. If everything goes according to plan, I will have completed a half ironman swim without westuit and enjoying my life.

I very much appreciate all the support and comments I have recieved this week. Very overwhelming and quite honestly makes me feel even more silly for having this sense of dread or anguish. I mentally understand this is a foolish hang up. I consciously understand I can do this

4 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

You're Friggin right you can do it! And if my schedule permits, I'll be out there too
Andy

Nancy Toby said...

Go Comm!! We know you can do it, but it will be much more FUN on race day if YOU have really internalized it too! GOOD LUCK!!

Maybe NEXT year I won't have swim anxiety....

Chris said...

I think that means that John wants to hit you.

Best of luck on your swim! Try and stay loose and comfortable and relaxed. You'll be fine!

TriZilla said...

Okay, you have my attention (and this is the first time I've been able to get here in eons! Microsoft has some weird adware on your site I think... Every time I come on here I have to click OK to run Active X.... Did you know about this? does it happen to others?)

Anyhoo, I have only swum in open water withOUT a wetsuit, so if you could be so kind as to compare and contrast the two? Is it really worth the wetsuit (I'm guessing from your fear that it is.) I hate open water swimming, but I've been thinking that the wetsuit might help.... But before I go buying one (ca-ching), I'd love to hear it from you.... Is it worth it?

Thanks!!!!