Sunday, May 21, 2006

Race Report #3 2006: Tempe International Tri

Well obviously I lived to tell the tale. Yeah! Interesting race to say the least. Some very happy points and some revelations. First off, huge mistake in my nutrition which came back on me in the race. I ate a triple threat and drank a gatorade for breakfast and another gatorade before the race and had gatorade on the bike. Way to few calories. I figure I only took in about 400 before the race and another 150 during. I expended 2,500 calories during the race so you do the math. I really should have had a bigger meal before and stuck with my CarbPro mix during and upped my calories to around 800 between waking up and T2.

The Swim: I had absolutely no problems with my swim. The water was 81 degrees. I was in the first wave which was wide bodies (Clydes and Athenas) and geezers (ove 51). Very little rubbing and bumping. There was some but isn't there always? I am not sure of my time so I will wait for the splits to come in but I really do believe I was one of the last ones from my wave to get out of the water. Big deal I finished it.

The Bike: I got past a lot on the bike and I am not sure why. I averaged around 21 mph, I feel that I hit a speed that I could sustain for an Ironman and just stuck with it. I think a lot of people were really going all out. The route had an equal number of hills and flats. It was really wide lanes to ride and there was no jostling for position.

The Run: I blew up on my run. This is where my lack of nutrition came back on me. The 10k course was hot and slighty humid this day. I was shooting for around 48 minutes for this leg but ended up at 63 or 64. Had some problems with tight shins and ankles and my torn hammy came back to get me at the end. But really it came down to me not being calorically ready for the run.

The web results are up but they are way off so I will post them when everything is correct.

I will say that I had a lot of fun. There were over 2 dozen people I knew racing or spectating so I was constantly being yelled at. That was the best part. In transition before the race it was all back slaps and Good Lucks, like a family reunion.

14 comments:

Glen said...

great race, you were kicking ass coming out of the water you were looking real strong, then on the bike also flying, could not stay until the end of the race but was great to see all in it.

Nancy Toby said...

Congratulations on a great race!! Way to go, Comm!

Oldman said...

congrats on the race... so which are you "widebody" or "geezer"?

tarheeltri said...

Sounds like a great race. 21 mph on the bike is awesome! If you were in the first wave, you were probably passed by a lot of elites in the following waves. I think some of the elites at my recent half averaged 24-26 mph. Clydes and geezers always go last here in NC.

jp said...

Great race Comm. Way to hang in there on the run.

Yep, its tough to race on an empty stomach. My pre-race meal is coffee, a bowl of oatmeal or cereal and a piece of banana 2-3 hours before race start. Then sports drink and water until race time.

On a side note, I wonder is the timing company at your race was the same one at Lake Havasu in March. Their system was messed up there as well.

Fe-lady said...

Sounds as if with a couple of "tweaks" you will be able to knock off a few min. Congrats on a gerat race...where are results. They aren't posted on the Tri site yet...
Great report! I bet you are walking on air today! :-)

Comm's said...

JP I believe it is the same timing company.

I am waiting for the official results to post up before I make any comments. I think that in the unofficial rankings currently listed, they have not accounted for the seperate Clydesdale group which was the first wave out.

Bridget said...

Awesome job! That is a terrific mph on the bike. I am so impressed you can average that for the whole ironman. Great race report!

Rainbow said...

That does sound like you had a great race. That is great that you now know you need to tweak your nutrition. A great learning experience. Way to go!

Nytro said...

that's awesome, comm. i'm glad that you learned a lot about your nutrition BEFORE the big one. congrats!

bari said...

Sounds like you had a great race, even if the run didn't go as planned. Good job!

Lance Notstrong said...

Try this, it sounds gross but it works and it's tasty.

1 cup Gatoraid (Poweraid)
1 cup ice
1 scoop protien powder
1 scoop dry oatmeal
1 packet Power Gel (Gu)
2 bananas

Through it all in the blender and drink up!!! I had this and 1/2 a bagel before both 1/2 marathons I ran and it worked great :-)

Chris said...

Better making the nutrition mistakes now than in November! Nice pace on that bike. You're going to have a smoking bike split at Florida this year!

Siren said...

Woo hoo! And thanks for sharing the nutrition info. It's something I'm really concerned and feel rather clueless about, so it's nice to see what people are doing (even if it was an oops!) so I can learn.