Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Blast Off

Today is my first day back into training or as Mighty Mo will tell us, "Daddy gonna go have fun!" Well fun is realtive to effort is suppose. And for those that think I will be blasting off like a rocket you are absolutely correct. Slow and steady out of the launch pad and envitably reaching significant speeds.

My workout today is what was supposed to be yesterdays, a massage and stretching. Mistress got picked for jury duty on an armed robbery case so I had to get the boy and will have to continue doing that through probably next Monday.

I was listening to endurance radio podcasts yesterday and heard an interveiw with two training partners who have lost 75 pounds and 175 pounds each (this man weighing close to 400 pounds at the start). They are both also Ironman finishers with a sub 12 finish and a sub 13 finish. Among the lots of good information was a nugget to take away...build a strong engine.

They forgo'ed the interval and speed work stuff and just built huge bases. One of them rode 150 miles commuting to work during the week and did another 60-100 on the weekends in longer rides.

I think the point is that I personally don't think Ironman training and weight loss are symbotic but one can naturally leads to the other. Its my belief that if you want to lose weight, significant weight, you need to focus on that. To train for Ironman or a just a marathon, then you need to focus on that.

People can and do lose weight training for endurance events, as evidenced by these two men and my own personal observations, but for the most part if your only trying to lose 20 pounds and want to do it by training for a long distance triathlon or running event, you might be going about it all wrong. Its natural for most of us to flux in weight during the season but I really think that if your losing more than 10% of your body weight, there are certainly easier ways.

5 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I don't know. It doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. Sure, my race was "only" a half ironman but that's still a considerable endurance event.

Weight loss goes hand in hand with consistent workouts. Without the big race goal, I had no reason to be consistent. Through the consistent workouts I came to realize my real limiter was my weight. That lead to healthier eating.

A person who wants to lose a lot of weight has to be at the point where they will make serious changes to get results, in diet and fitness. In my case, the race goal helped that along.

Cliff said...

Commodore,

Doing a sub 12 and sub 13 are very impressive times.

I try not to foucs so much on weight but more on fat/muscle composition.

Steven said...

"Lost" 175 pounds?!? Wow.

I can't imagine losing that much weight...or being in the position of needing to.

I'll keep my wieght where it is, thank you very much, and shoot for a sub-11 IM Canada.

Tri-Angle said...

Commodore
I like your workouts...massage? Damn man, what program are you on?
A.

IMmike said...

Comm,

I agree with what you are saying. I think that with all of the training that we do, we naturally "lose weight." I don't focus on it anymore - I just assume that when you are training around 15h a week, the weight comes off - assuming you eat healthy.

Also, I think forgoing interval and speed work is the way to go. I messed up with this part of my training. Live and learn. I'll do things differently for IMFL.