Friday, May 5, 2006

Group Call

This morning I was able to join in on the conference call for Polar sponsored athletes. I had already recieved the meeting notes from a previous meeting so I knew what to expect but I did learn some great new things.

I did not know this is the first year Polar has sponsored a team. They have worked with athletes before but this year is their first concerted effort to develop a national/regional team visibility. Over 4,500 people appiled and only 100 people from around the country were choosen. I am a numbers guy and that gave me less than one-quarter of 1% chance of making the team. So I feel very blessed about that.

Polar already has tremendous brand name recognition for superior HR products and services and the presense of Polar branded athletes on the course will only increase that visiblity. All the athletes recieve several peices of technical clothing and custom designed race outfits. We need to wear that in our races which we commited to doing at least six races during the sponsorship year.

Mid month a Polar rep is coming to Phoenix for our first team meeting. At the meeting we will be going over reviewing the RS200sd running computer and the CS200cad cyclocomputer so that we become experts on each product. Included in this meeting will be a little run to get live results and feedback.

One of the very cool things about what Polar is doing, and maybe other companies do this as well, but we will have a secure website to log in to so we can upload race reports, pictures, summaries of our team workouts and meeting, the clinics we hold, the demo's we hold, social commitments we provide regionally for the company and things like that.

There is financial incentive to be recognized publically as a Polar sponsored athlete which I did not know about. Wow, I could make some scratch for doing something that recognizes the company.

Anyway, I thought today was going to be a blah posting day but instead I feel like its my most pumped up post of the week.

5 comments:

Fe-lady said...

I think I registered for their sponsorship (I filled out many this year and was turned down by all!) Do they want just elite athletes? How about a member of the older female population for comparison data! :-0

Comm's said...

"Do they want just elite athletes?" Fe-Lady...if you think I am elite after reading me all these months I am driving down to Tuscon and planting a big wet kiss on your cheek.

Flatman said...

Very cool, Comm. Sounds like they are quite a good sponsor to have! Can't wait to hear your reviews of the new products.

a.maria said...

whoa, thats way cool. you're a sponsored athlete. thats..

DUDE. thats AWESOME!

Julie B said...

That's a nice extra push to train a bit harder and race a bit tougher. Awesome!