Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A ride and A question

I look forward to the Wednesday morning rides that I do with Big John and Andy. I have put up the graphs before and talked about this ride around Usery Pass. I think what I like most is the feeling of comraderie just bullshitting and spinning before the hard hills come up and we seperate into our own willpower.

As we reached the base of Usery Pass, which is a 4 mile ascent with what I would consider a margianlly steep grade, I decided to take another shot at at PR to the top. Not only did I drop another full minute this week from last (18:25 or 5.5% improvement) I blew buy two guys like they were going half my speed, which from personal experience I know is entirely possible since I used to be those guys.

As we regrouped at the top J0hn says, "
I have a moral question for you. When you come up on a cyclist who obviously has terrible form like the guy we both passed with his knees going left/right instead of up/down, do you say something to him or let him figure it out in six month on his own?"
I thought about it and said that I think if the guy is in the group and you're conversational, then yes its okay, I personally don't mind getting good criticism. If you come up on some riding alone, I say its a judgement call but if he stops to talk along the way, you can mention it in conversation.

What do you people say?

11 comments:

Cliff said...

Same with you. I see people swimming in bad forms in the pool. I ain't here to say i swim like a fish. But i can tell them arms flailing, crossing their centre line, ain't helping themo n their speed.

For me, i will give advice (the small knowledge that i have) to ppl who wants to hear it. Some ppl just want to swim for fun, even in a b ad form. I have no right to judge him or tell him waht to do. Second, he doesn't want to hear it anyway. He just want to swim and get some exercise.

If it is the latter case, i just let it slide. If the person is training for a race, like a tri or I find out he wanna get better in his swim..then i will offer my 2 cent.

Steven said...

Agreed.
If you are in a conversation and you can work it in then do. But do not seek out the guy and start right in with "you're form sucks."

Not good.

greyhound said...

When you're a small, skinny dog, say a greyhound hypothetically, at 5'4" and 138 lbs.--hypothetically, you smile and say, "good morning . . . sir."

3rs said...

I did most of my 'getting started' rides and still do alot of rides alone. I would have loved for someone to tell me to keep my knees in, even as they were zooming by me. It would have saved a lot on the ol' back.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Unless you get to know him, it would be hard to comment without coming off pompous.

If a swimmer or rider that I've seen for a while (and has a history of friendly conversation with me) wants to offer advice, that's one thing. Some random person who strikes up a conversation with me on the side of the road? Not so much.

William said...

Biomechanics can make people have very different pedal strokes, just watch the TdF!

I'd say nay, unless your a pro bike fitter.

Bolder said...

do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.

stronger said...

I tell my dad to keep his right knee in..but he's my dad.

jp said...

Unless you a)know him or b)are a coach/pro cyclist I would keep the advice to yourself unless asked.

I personally hate it when someone offers me unsolicited advice...unless that someone is clearly an expert.

Papa Tweet said...

I say let him figure it out or let a training partner of his tell him. It would probably be better recieved by one of his friends. Just my opinion.
Benny

Oldman said...

if he asks or he is riding in your pelaton then tell him. if he is alone then live him alone. some people just want to be left alone!