Tuesday, January 31, 2006

No Limits Day 10


Vs.







Oh the joy of Rocky 4, when American underdog hero Rocky Balboa defends democracy and avenges the death of his mentor at the hands of his communist adversary Ivan Drago.

I thought about the training scenes in that movie as I went through my strength run last night on the treadmill. See I really wanted to be running my hill repeats outside, even had the perfect two minute hill to run up to do it, but ended up settling for the RDR (red digital readout) of the treadmill.

It made me compare the spartan training program Rocky had in the Soviet Union before the big fight, living in an unheated cabin, sawing logs, slowly running up mountains in waist deep snow, carrying logs on his back, pull ups in the barn. His constant sidekick Paulie, the definition of Common Man Syndrome, drinking beer, leaning against the wall and spewing, 'come drink with me' comments as Rocky rips out a 1,000 decline crunches on converted buck board.

In contrast the stoic Ivan, training in his million dollar facility, running as fast as possible on an incline treadmill, doing clean and jerks with 405 pounds, testing his punch power on a computerized punching bag.

I wish I could have trained last night like Rocky, but ended up getting the job done like Ivan.

I got home late. Nothing would have been nicer than laying down and hitting the sack. However, I train with No Limits right now, so I pulled out the trainer and put in a 75 minute bike ride.

4 comments:

mipper said...

sounds like someone is forging some serious iron here. great job Comm.
as soon as i kick the food poisoning, i am back at it with you.

Steven said...

Training when you don't feel like training is what will get you through the Ironman in style.
Nice job, Comm.

tri-mama said...

nice job on the extra bike-
if you want to train like Rocky you gotta move up here to the frozen tundra!

Chris said...

Training in the tundra is overrated. How come they never show Rocky slipping around and falling on ice and all that stuff?

Nice job with the additional workout on the trainer. You the man!