Monday, January 30, 2006

No Limits Day 9

Over 5 hours on the Ironman Arizona bike course for Sunday Day #9. I rode for 4:30 of actual pedal time, average speed of 18.1 mph, 80 miles. The time out on the course was a bit longer because the Good Doctor had four rear flats, yes four flats. He went through all his supply's on the first lap and all of mine. Had I not turned around on his second flat of the first loop, he would have been stuck on the highway for a bit.

But we limped it in and then with both of us on empty as far are damage control goes, rode down to an open bike shop and reloaded. The issue turned out to be the seam tape inside the tire between the rim and tube. His was hard plastic like you would find wrapped around a bale of magazines or a box. It had split and was jamming into the tube.

As I found out on the second loop my seam tape is cloth, as I had a flat. I must say I had my best change out ever, five minutes on a rear.

My RPE (rate of precieved effort) on loop one was about a five and felt great. I pushed it hard on loop two since I (and the Good Doctor) were way behind the group, up to about 7.5 RPE and the last ten miles, my legs were plenty tired.

Anyone reading this and doing Ironman Arizona, should be prepared for some decent headwinds along the Beeline Highway.


13 comments:

Flatman said...

Nice ride. You are doing great!

277 days left...

Cliff said...

Nice ride...good thing u are riding with Good Doc. I can't imagine having so many flats on one ride.

TTUTri said...

Great workouts lately, Commodore. Thanks for the inspiration.

Nancy Toby said...

Four flats!? That's just crazy! Did somebody throw tacks on the road!?

Sounds like some great riding, though!

Oldman said...

I hate flats...but 4 that has gotr to be a record! Way to go getting it done!

Flatman said...

Congrats on the move!!! Big-timer.

Bridget said...

Great job on the ride. I will be so happy if I can ever ride that fast. I am contemplating IMAZ, so it is great to hear your course feedback. Keep it coming!

Papa Tweet said...

Good to know about the headwinds. I'm sure I'll get a good feel for them in February. Thanks for the voice message by the way. Take care
Benny

The Big Cheese said...

welcome home, com.

Chris said...

Velox tape, I think it is? Maybe you can perscribe some for the good doctor before your next ride?

80 miles is no joke man. Congrats on the ride.

Bolder said...

Comm, I don't know if you've read Roman's account (everymantriathlon.com) of his first iron distance race... he had 8 flats on the bike course because of poor rim tape... his account is called 'Racin' Wilma'.

Makes me think that before Ironman I need to have my rims checked, and new tubes and tires installed, and then ride on them for a few centuries or something...

It's all about the bike.

Kewl Nitrox said...

5 mins change-over for a rear is pretty good time. You must have had some practice. :)

Wil said...

Damn, Com, you've come such a long way... awesome job!