Saturday, January 7, 2006

Training Camp

Bolder has a way of making me think. I left him a smarmy message about endless summer training on 148* asphalt as compared to training at altitude like he lives at.

To put my thoughts in context, I was not really happy with my training in December. 30 days of work crammed into 17, then possessing zero training management skills while looking after my son by myself on vacation, then getting the flu.

Last night I talked to Mistress and explained that I wanted to leave sometime this spring for a secluded four day training camp up in Flagstaff. She thought it was a great idea.

What I going to do is rent a cabin in the woods around 'Flag' which sits at 7,000 ft above sea level and put in long days of running, cycling and mountain biking. If I can find a pool somewhere then great, a lake even better, if nothing, fine. Nights would be spent in triahlon study and periodization planning through Ironman, meditation and prayer.

It think it would be a tremendous lift to my training and even better a massage for my soul.

You may think this strange but Mistress and I seldom take vacations together. We have travel vacations together like Las Vegas, Mexico or to see family at least once a year she goes on trips without me and I take one vacation a year without her. In 2005 it was my backpacking trip to Yosimite. In 2001-2004 it was summer fishing trips with the guys in Montona. In 2006, its Ironman Florida. It actually makes our marriage better, we think, if we can have some time away from each other to recharge the batterys.

This morning was a struggling 3,000 yard pool workout, which I cut short by 600 yards because I was having a hard time breathing.

7 comments:

Bolder said...

i like smarmy... i live for smarmy.

and, i am preparing a smarmy response for my blog -- booyah!

like that flagstaff idea... i had an off week as well, you'll see it on Monday's post... so, i feel some of your pain...

Cliff said...

Sounds like a dream vacation, CMS.

I want one too.

My plan is to take one day or two off in Spring so I can have more time to train (or relax).

Bolder said...

dude, did you countdown clock just drop below 300...

IMmike said...

Com,

The training camp sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you'll feel really rejuvenated after having a few days to just focus on training.

Flagstaff is great. I really like that area of the country.

Bridget said...

The training camp sounds terrific. I love Flagstaff! A 2400 yard swim workout is still awesome.

Brett said...

That sounds like an excellent idea. I would like to do that for about a month!

Chris said...

Some of my best conversations with the Big Guy happen while I'm out doing my long workouts. I can only imagine if you didn't have to stop to deal with the "real world" in the middle. Sounds like a great time!