Monday, January 23, 2006

No Limits Day 2

I finished a good 40 mile ride and started my 3 mile brick run. At a 1/4 mile, my left shin seized up in a massive shin splint. The pain, oh the pain, you all know the pain I am talking about.

I considered turning around and limping the distance back to the truck but I didn't. I limped, I stretched, I ran and I walked myself the 3.5 miles back to my truck. I stayed fairly true to the 5:1 program.

Towards the last 1/4 mile my left ankle was locked up and my foot dragged, making that noise like something is stuck to the bottom of the sole. But I am working out with No Limits. A shin splint as bad as it is, is something that may occur at Ironman, and I can't let that hold me back from my goal of finishing.

There is no limit to what you can achieve. I challenge all of you to make a commitment to just 39 days of training with No Limits. Until the end of February what can you do to improve yourself that you know you can do, know you should do, but right now do not do.

14 comments:

Steven said...

Days like this one will make you stronger and better prepared for IM Florida. Good job hanging tough, Commodore.

Flatman said...

Damn, you and Robo-Stu ARE twins!!!

Cliff said...

Geez. You are strong.

mipper said...

when you said you puches through the shin splint i thought "he's crazy!" but then i read about "it could happen in IMFL" and i realized you a genius! i would have never ever had that perspective. great job Comm!

Chris said...

Gah. Careful with those injuries, Com. I mean, I love the bullheaded nature of your workouts and what not, but just make sure that little aches and pains don't turn into big aches and pains and sideline you for a lot longer than would have otherwise.

Day two for me: 1000 swim. :( And likely a 4 mile run when I get home tonight. Either that or an hour on the trainer. Or maybe I'll even spice it up a bit and do a little of both? :)

Comm's said...

Thanks Chris, I scheduled 90 minute deep tissue massage tonight to work on my lower body. If I need to I will work with my chiro and get some rehab.

Shin splints used to be fairly common for me but I developed a good repitore to prevent them. I think I just had some issues bricking off a tough 40 mile bike.

Mipper-thanks for seeing the method to my madness. at least someone does

Lora said...

Oh Gawd---90 minutes!! I'm so jealous...all I do is 60 minutes! She's gonna dig deep -- get the Advil ready!!!!!

Bridget said...

I love your 'No Limits' plan. I would caution you to be careful about the shin splints since I had the same feeling and ended up with stress fractures two years in a row, but it sounds like you are very much on top of things. I am so jealous of your massage!

Bolder said...

that's dedication... booyah!

bunnygirl said...

I was questioning your sanity until I saw the bit about the massage. Sounds like you know what you need to do. Tough + smart is a good combo!

mipper said...

ok, my shin splint was acting up in my run today and then both calves started seizing up. what did i do wrong and what can i do to prevent it again? we all know my history of being prone to stress fractures and since my A race is 6 months sooner than your A race... i can't afford one right now. HELP!

Nytro said...

man... get that thing better before your ironman. ice, ice, baby!!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Hi Commodore!

No Limits. Push through the pain but remember that our bodies are our best teachers. Don't forget to balance our will with our body's feedback.

My hubby is on Train 39 as well. He made it to the gym for his weight workout.

William said...

Watch those shin splints man. If it is a "Shin Splint" it wont just go away and they have a very specific cause.

Good motivation Comm, thanks!