Wednesday, January 4, 2006

A New Shiny Thing

Lets get the triathlon part out of the way, today is a 7 mile run and a bicep/tricep workout. While I am training I will thinking about the new toy in transist right now...


I. Am. A. Gadget. Whore.
Wait I think whores make money on themselves not spend money on themselves.

I. Am. A. Gadget. Guy.
That sounds better.

I am a firm believer in 'Technology Accelerators'. I consider myself an inpulse 'Wanter' and deliberate buyer. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I have been trying to go paperless or less-paper since Cascio came out with a scheduler twenty years ago. I have looked at Palms and such for a long time but the technology never met my needs. I've used laptops their too big for my needs. Now I find out that with Windows Mobile 5.0 I can use Word, Excel and Outlook interchangably between my desktop PC and a pocket PC, in my case the new HP Ipaq 2495...

This already has more almost double the clock speed of my last laptop (520 MHz Ipaq vs. 300MHz laptop) and double the RAM memory (192 mb base vs. 96 mb maxed out). Because I use primarily Excel to run my spreadsheets this is awesome. I will save myself two days of work each month by inputting directly to Excel instead of writing on a print out then transcribing to excel later.

Plus it has Bluetooth and wi-fi built in (not even an option on the laptop) so I can real time my work to my partners while in the field or answer e-mail in a Starbucks from all my various accounts AND I think I will be able to blog on the road. No more waiting to get to a desk to catch up on Bloglines.

I also picked up a Bluetooth wireless foldable keyboard so I can type instead of write my meeting notes and be faster at typing into the Ipaq. With a 1 gigabyte storage card, I can carry all my company's most important documents with me as back up and not have to go back to my office to send follow ups.

Plus...well its shiny... and it looks pretty... and I want it...and I got the company to pay for it. Hey its cheaper than an assistant.


16 comments:

Cliff said...

Sweet.. :)...the best part is having the company to sponsor it ;D.

Flatman said...

Man, that is cool.

Mica said...

What a great timesaver! Even better that the company is shelling out the $$.

Nancy Toby said...

I think I need one too. :-)

Oldman said...

i use a Treo 600 with 1 gb memory card...works like a champ anywhere, even doc's beach house while drinking beer.

Papa Tweet said...

If you can blog with this thing, I'll be expecting even more posts. Seriously, you can blog with that thing?
Benny

White Salamander said...

Truly you are a gadget whore! I will of course wait and bide my time for a similar item than runs a the mac os x

Lora said...

I believe the newest term is "Ho". And you guys are pulling me down with you....now I just HAVE to check out your recommendation AND look into Oldman's Treo.

Damn these men!!

graciously,
LoraHo

Nytro said...

okay... the gadget whore had me rolling. i've heard of man-whores, but never a gadget whore.

also... i am a little behind on internet savvy. how do you do bloglines? and what do they do?

can you email me and explain?

thanks!

go with gadget whore. it looks good on you.

Chris said...

I'm expecting a full review once you've had a chance to play with it. I've been eyeing a new PDA for a while, but don't know enough about the newer models (my old PDA was an old black and white palm) and have been too lazy to read up.

Hurray for new toys!

Chris said...

I'm expecting a full review once you've had a chance to play with it. I've been eyeing a new PDA for a while, but don't know enough about the newer models (my old PDA was an old black and white palm) and have been too lazy to read up.

Hurray for new toys!

Bolder said...

don't sugar coat it... you're a card carrying gadget whore...

booyah!

Coach Tammy said...

Ok, a few days ago you were talkin' about "hookers" and now it's "whores". Who are you and what have you done with Commodore?

ZAG said...

"Illusions, Illusions Michael, a trick is something a whore does for money...or cocaine"

jp said...

Nice gadget...I'm in the same boat with you....unashamed gadget whore. Check out www.engadget.com for your daily fix.

As for the PDA thang, I've got a Treo 650 with a 1 gig card...its awesome, I can snap pics, store, view and edit my MS office docs and thanks to Goodlink software, it wirelessly syncs with my company's Exchange server so I have my full outlook mailbox with me wherever I go. I can also put music on it too, but I use my iPod for that.

Oh yeah, its got Bluetooth and makes and receives phone calls too. :-)

Comm's said...

I have certainly watched the new treo's with glee. However my company supplys my phone and costs on it, so it would be 'unseemly' for me to one up all my partners with the treo and ask them to pay for it.