Monday, January 16, 2006

Race Report #1 2006- PF Chang's half marathon

Race Report#1 2006

Personal Conditions
As I have posted many times in the last month, I was originally signed up for the full marathon as a cap to my run build for 2006. It was to be my fourth official marathon race, though I have done that distance or greater in training workouts throughout my life. My longest run ever has been 30 miles. But I digress and feel like I am alibi-ing this race.

I had some issues getting any of my 20 milers done in December and then I caught influenza over New Years. So I adjusted for the half giving myself a no time limit run, which in reality is, “Please Lord nothing longer than 2 ½ hours.” I have never run ½ marathon in more than 2 hours.

Pre-Race.
In the past it has been very difficult to get down to the starting line since you have to stage at the finish line and bus in, with 34,000 people converging on two off ramps it gets crowded. So I decided to go way too early. I think I was on the second bus that left at 0500. Considering the half started at 0830 I had lots of free time. At least the weather cooperated and it was around 60 degrees instead of the 45 that was forecasted. There must have been over 600 port-a-potties around the starting areas. My body was getting a little amp’d up and would guess I used six of them before the crowds arrived. There never can be enough port-a-potties for 34,000 people but it really was a feat to get as many as they did out there. On top of that, I never had to walk along the front of them or cut through lines to move around. A roped off area of just walking traffic was set up behind the stalls. Great segregation.

Just before race time I ran into Trimama and TriDaddy and we said our final sentiments before going to the corral which was quite a feet with 20,000 runners around.

The PF Chang ½ Marathon
To cut the exposition my stopwatch showed 1:59:45. Someone e-mailed me that my chip time is 2:02. So I have gone over my two hour mark in a half, but in reality I am pretty happy with that time. It’s a blessing I did that time on the severe lack of running I have done in the last month and to do so relatively injury free.

The race ended up being 64% woman, so there was lots of visual motivation. Woman with running figures are so beautiful. Triathlete woman can seem a bit skinny in the upper body whereas runners tend to have a bit more proportion. I know, many corollary’s can be made, its just an off the cuff observation.

A couple of triathlon observations. In the corral, I got to speaking with a group around me. I am not afraid to butt into conversation. A couple thought running marathons were nuts compared to the half but when I mentioned Florida Ironman, one guy went nuts. He was dead set against thinking I would finish a distance like that. I don’t think he was doubting me so much as he just had this intense mental build up that all Ironman triathletes are superheroes.

While I was running I picked up a conversation a lady was having with two other runners. She said she had done a triathlon last year and might do one this year. She said she did a half Ironman; 700 yard swim, 12 mile bike and 4 mile run. I about gagged on tongue but just kept running with a smile on my face.

There was a group of about 30 of us who all had the same rough pace. One of them was a girl; mid-20’s, blond, running in a bright red triathlon/running bikini. On the back of the bottoms, (you can guess the area), was the team’s name, “Team Nice Ass.” Modesty prevents me from making any other comments.

This is the first time I have run the Rock n Roll half and I was a bit disappointed on the bands. On the full, there is one band per mile. On the half, Trimama and I thought there was only maybe nine bands total.

My pace ended up being around 9:19 per mile which is nice. I have run faster 13.1 runs in training but the 0300 walk up along with the adrenaline of the event, led to a good run based on my current running level.

Post Race
I do know this; I can not manage a 9 minute mile at Ironman. I think I will start to incorporate some of Nancy's run walk technique, but to honest and with no disrespect to the tens of thousands of people who have used a run walk schedule, it will difficult to adapt to. I have been a pure runner for 20 years. I have run a 3:19 marathon. I have run a 1:38 half. But I am no longer a pure runner, I am a triathlete. I am going for an Ironman. As such, I have to put aside my ego and embrace techniques that are proven to work. Nancy has really opened my eyes to her method of madness with her Goofy Challenge. When I sat in on John “The Penguin” Bingham seminar Friday, he also talked about the run/walk technique. So I will be open-minded to this in my training.

I found Trimama and TriDaddy in the family reunion area lounging and celebrating. Trimama also had a great run; I won't spoil her publication though. Tridaddy also did much much better than he was expecting. We hung around for about an hour, talking, stretching and yes even toasting with free beer given to racers. Hmmm, whenever Trimama, Tridaday and I met we drink beer. What a great tradition that will continue through November.

Coming home I was pretty wiped out. But Mistress pulled out the stops and got a friend to hook up the Jacuzzi by the time I got home. No I couldn't jump right in, since the water had to warm up. By the time the water got into the 90’s it was 9 pm and I was falling asleep watching 24. So tonight fo’ show’.

What the future holds
Today my knee is still pretty sore, the legs are what they are after a long run. I will need to get off the soft-pack and start getting my asphalt runs under my legs. I do think that had a lot to do with my knee. I was going to swim today, but there is a massive blood shortage in the valley and I have been getting a call every night for a deposit, I am an O+ universal donor. So today is a rest, give blood day and tomorrow the pool.

It was brought up today in my Monday meeting to do some sort of 2007 PF Chang charity run for the Phoenix Children’s hospital. Since Mighty Mo and about four other executive kids all have had extensive work done there, we have a heart for the place. They thought about having me run the full next year as the fund raising runner. I have listed my aversion for running for charities and feel no different about this, unless of course I don’t have to do any of the fund raising, I just have to run.

However, I have already talked to someone about being a wheelchair volunteer for the full next year. Each wheelchair racer has a cyclist who follows them along the course. If they get into trouble, like say a flat, they change wheels out for them. I think that would be a cool volunteer position.

17 comments:

Chris said...

Congrats on your race, Com! You did really well considering you had a less than ideal last month of training. Way to get it done!

As far as IM run splits go, I'm certainly no runner, but here are some stats. I'm usually 8:30-9:00 during training for my long runs (I peak around 17-18 miles). Both of my IM splits I've run something like 11:40. I have a friend that qualified for Boston last June running a 3:07. His fastest IM run split is 3:59 and he did something like 4:15 last year.

I've heard of folks saying that you should be within 30 minutes of your standalone marathon if you pace properly. I don't know many folks that can come close to that number, though. I'm sure you'll be out there giving it your all. Nobody is going to fault you for having a "slow" run split after a 114.4 mile warm up. ;)

Flatman said...

Nice race, my man! Nothing to scoff at...like you said, you weren't totally prepared and you still gutted out a 2 hour half!

Rest that knee and enjoy that soak!

IMmike said...

Com,

That's a great run. Definitely nuthing to scoff at, especially in January! Keep up the good work!

mipper said...

WTG COMM! that sounds like a really great race considering all the troubles you had in december with your training and then getting sick just a little bit ago. it's great that you are happy with your time as well. that's the best part of that race report. great job!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice job on your race! Hope the knee is feeling better! Take it easy, you've earned it!

Wil said...

How cool! Take care of that knee and come back strong :) Congrats!

About Me: said...

very nice race. and your longevity in running, as well as your willingness to try something new (the run/walk) is refreshing and inspiring.
nice race!

Keryn said...

Awesome race! I think the run/walk thing may be a lifesaver...running a marathon is one thing. Running a marathon AFTER swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles is another.

I think the cycling guys are really cool. On my half, there was one who kept coming by to check on us. Sounds like a fun volunteer thing to do. Maybe I'll sign up for that this year at the Omaha Marathon. :)

Donald said...

Great race report. Good luck with your recovery and future training.

Bridget said...

Nice race! I know it's all relative, but I would be super happy with that time. Oh, and I though all Ironmen were Superheros!

Bolder said...

good race. good report. good good.

i'm thinkin' about run/walk. i'm thinkin' about run/walk/crawl.

i'm thinkin' about finishing.

Mica said...

Congrats on the finish and not injuring yourself. I , too, am considering the run/walk routine for my half-ironman.

Robin said...

Good race, take care of your knee.

Robin said...

PS: On the run/walk. I found it very interesting while training for my 1st half. I had been purely running during training. My friend who was supposed to run bagged and another friend said she'd run it with me, but she was doing the run/walk (see Jeff Galloway). I said OK and really enjoyed it. I felt great and ended strong. But I think (know) she paced me. I am trying this for my 1st marathon (Boston-April) and I wonder how it will be.

Ultra Crackhead said...

I use a run/walk strategy, but only to the extent I need to walk to take in nutrition. So it effectively becomes run a mile and walk maybe 30". And that's what I do on my long training runs, and I don't really consider that run/walk--it's just necessary to get nutrition in!

BUT, for one's first Ironman, it is going to be what it will be. If you pace your ride appropriately, then with your run background, you might be able to do a 4-hour IM marathon (20% degradation). You might not.

The thing with a first IM is that it's just that--your body will not really know what to expect because you have not done it before. Sure maybe you will have done a 112-mile ride and run 40-60' off the bike, but that's not the whole deal. So typically in a first IM the thing that gets you is the mental toughness and the nutrition.

My advice to a first-timer is to ride REALLY CONSERVATIVELY (which is something like an "all-day" pace, somewhere above spinning) and then when you get off the bike, look at your watch, and set yourself a time goal for the marathon. And then start running.

Your mind will be screaming at you to walk, and you probably will need to at some point, so it might pay to use walking as an offense rather than a defense. Make an agreement with yourself. If walking pre-emptively in the first few miles is something that will help you pace yourself (trust me, it's EASY to go out hard on the run and then fade magnificently!), then do it.

Above all, make sure to check your cadence periodically, because once that goes down the toilet, so does your run.

Ironman running is all about toughness--tough legs and a tough mind. It's going to hurt--that's a given. But it hurts for everyone and the game is more about not slowing down. If not slowing down means you need to run 10:00/mile for the entire 26.2, then that's great. You will feel better than if you start out at 9:00/mile and then fade halfway through to 12:00+/mile.

How do you know how fast you can really run? Again, for a first IM, ride conservatively, and then you will find out how well you can run with your current bike fitness. Obviously, you are "fit" enough for a pretty good marathon by itself. But IM marathon fitness is dependent on bike fitness, so the more fit you are on the bike, the more likely it is that you will be able to get close (and by close I mean 20% or less) to your open marathon time during an IM.

How do you know how fast to ride? There are equations based on power and heart rate. It's best to choose one and go with that religiously. In general, IM biking is done VERY aerobically. Each time you exceed that, either to surge past someone or just because you're "feeling good," you have just penalized your run. So you need to use your heart beats/watts judiciously on the bike. You definitely won't be riding as fast as you do on many training rides.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

E-Speed said...

Great job on the half. I agree there wasn't as much music or support out on the course as I expected, but it was still more activity than I am used to in a half. So sorry I missed the chance to meet you and tri mama. I should have been an early bird too. Ahh next time I will know better!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Awesome run. Awesome report. Awesome reflections.

You met up with TriMama!! Good! I'm so glad you two got together -- and I'm sorry I missed her. Next time... at IMFL!!

Bloody good show, ol' mate!